Google+ Already Has a New Look – What do you think?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Google+ Already Has a New Look – What do you think?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy Ramienski Amatucci 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

Upon logging onto my Gmail this morning, I was prompted to check out my Google +, and this is what I found…

It didn’t look EXACTLY like this because I added the cover picture, but you get the basic idea. The design is now more streamlined, with new tabs on the side for navigation, and basic info under the picture.

What do you think of the new design?

Do you think it will influence more people to use Google+

Personally, I like the design a lot better, but I still do not see much use for Google+ beyond its hangout feature. I would love to hear your thoughts!

I like the new design, but I am not sure it will get more people to use it. I think Google+ came kinda late to the game and is going to have to work incredibly hard to lure people away from Facebook. Facebook is already so ubiquitous … but I am hearing rumblings on Twitter about it “being for old people”. So … are we going to see the fall of Facebook soon? Will Google+ take its place? I think only time will tell.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I like it, looks kind of like Facebooks new timeline, except more attractive. I also like the tab on the left. I prefer G+ as a platform because of its simplicity and that I’m not bombarded by everyone wanting me to sign their virtual high school yearbook and play the Sims with them.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

If Google can learn how to leverage their other services to draw attention to Google+, they may have some luck, but I’m not so sure they’ve been successful there yet.

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

I’m using Google+ at home, mostly to find interesting bits from their Top Stories. I have a few friends on it, but not a lot, and quite a few of my friends are reluctant to adopt yet another social media platform.

If Google plays its cards right, they’ll find a way to let people “try before they buy” into Google+. If they can find the killer app (Hangouts?) and market it right, they will see slow, steady adoption.

William Lim
    Participant

I don’t like Facebook’s timeline, and thus I’m not really excited about the G+ redesign making it look more like Facebook. I really only use G+ for hangouts for a non-profit I’m associated with, so that we can conduct meetings by video (we have also used Skype for this in the past). I also have a friend overseas in a country where Facebook is blocked by the government, but apparently G+ is not (although I’m sure it’s closely monitored by the censors), so there’s some value to G+ in that situation.

On a related note, does anyone know if it’s possible to “split screen” with a hangout going on one side of the screen and GMail or some other Google app open on the other side? In my hangouts, I often have to refer back to my GMail and it’s cumbersome to keep switching tabs.

Dick Davies
    Participant

The new look is closer to how Plus already looks on an iPad, with the NAV links following the description instead of beside it.

Allison Primack
    Participant

That’s interesting – didn’t know that! Very cool.

Allison Primack
    Participant

I know, that is a pain in the neck. I usually just keep gmail open in a separate window next to my hangout, haven’t figured out a way to solve that yet!

Allison Primack
    Participant

To add to this – do you think the new design will alter how agencies/businesses use Google+?

Bill Brantley
    Participant

The issue here isn’t a new look: the issue is how much user-generated content each social network has. Facebook has won because of path dependency and the network effect. Google+ came too late to the game to build up the necessary critical mass. Google+ can be the Beta VCR but Facebook already has the VHS advantage.

Allison Primack
    Participant

I agree that Google+ came a little too late. Do you see anything that Google+ offers that Facebook doesn’t that would entice people to utilize both accounts?

Jack Gates
    Participant

The new format to correct the strange display when viewing on a tablet. Have to experiment to find some things, but it’ll become familiar shortly.

Hangout is a useful for collaboration, and the searchable content is a powerful element of Google +

Michael Hardy
    Participant

I never tried it because after Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and GovLoop, I saw no need for yet another network.

I like the new design and I am also not sure if it will bring more people to use it. I do think Google will have an advantage over other social media sites if they develop cool useful way of integrating other Google products.

Personally social media has started to becoming a chore. Done anyone see a bubble forming?

Fernando Beltran
    Participant

I think Google’s biggest mistake was not integrating GMail into Google+. Their user interface is inferior and boring. Google+ is quickly becoming a graveyard, soon to join other failed Google projects, such as Google Wave.

Allison Primack
    Participant

Haha, I agree – what was Google Wave? The only one I remember starting/failing of Google Buzz.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.