Google+

Home Forums Acquisitions Google+

This topic contains 40 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Poirier 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Google+ has been taking the talk of the town and I’d like to know what you think. I have been speaking at conferences about video and social media for more than a year with regard to risk mitigation and leadership.

I am not impressed with the new Google interface, it seems to duplicate what is already available in more prominent and developed media forums. What do you think?

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Sure it looks and feels like “what is already available in more prominent and developed media forums,” however I feel that this interface google is pushing is far cleaner, easier to use, and flows much better than most tools out there. (Personal preference is going to make up people’s mind.” Obviously, time will tell, however the thing I do like best is Google is currently crowd sourcing their beta and taking input from people all over. I have heard multiple reports of people talking directly to google techs and changes are being made almost hourly to those looking close.

To be honest, I have seen plenty of people beating up on google because its “different” or “the same” but then no one is really providing any solid examples of their issues other than “its not face book.” To me, all I see is another “apple vs. pc” battle brewing..

Gadi Ben-Yehuda
    Participant

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Rob Carty
    Participant

For me, I’m just glad there’s some solid competition to Facebook. One thing that bugs me is the “absolutist” idea that just because some people don’t like it, then Google+ should just go away. Chris’s Apple/PC analogy is spot on. I remember heated debates (when I cared) about which was better. But like politics used to be, I think we can all get along and there will be enough users to keep either platform afloat. What I really like about the launch of Google+, is that it’s going to force FB to stop acting so arrogant because users now have a legitimate alternative.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Your link seems broken. I’d love to read your post and really understand your thoughts.. I’ll say for now that I am not tracking the “new Mac vs. PC”. As a graphics designer and Systems Engineer for 20 years, there is not a “Mac vs. PC” argument except to those that don’t know the difference. I use Mac for very different things that a PC couldn’t begin to process and I use PC for things that simply weren’t developed for the Mac interface (this is an entirely different discussion). FYI, I am very versed in both Mac and PC, I currently own an iMac, Macbook Air, 6 PCs, 5 iPads, and 9 iPhones. Sounds more like Buzz words to get people to read the post more than a valid comparison.

As for the Google+ Interface being “cleaner”, it’s exactly the same as Facebook, right down to the like and share options. As for circles, I have my people getting added to circles by people they don’t know and now spam messages are coming from “friends” vs. just bad vendors with bad email campaigns. I already group my contacts in Facebook just like Google+. I just spoke at a social media conference a few days ago and the only topic not discussed was Google+ other than general questions and breakout sessions interested in what it is. I am a blogger user, but my rss feeds are sent to Facebook. I am a twitter user, but my tweets are app embedded to their own tab and through selective tweets, I can post on my wall #fb. None of this functionality works with Google+.

The video leaves a lot to be desired, but I understand it’s beta so I’m following their progress, it’s still Skype for us.. According to Google themselves, they aren’t trying to get Facebook’s market, they are trying to get into Facebook’s API and develop their own to provide “the social network”. While this sounds promising, I have to say it’ll be interesting to see it develop. Both free, means independent development.

Bravo to both Facebook and Google+.

So what does matter? Facebook is Data Mining. I have the ability to advertise, share relevant data with everyone on Facebook. As a business owner, I have fan pages that allow for spreading the word, also not available in Google+.

As I said before, I’m watching, but I’m not sold. I find it fascinating that people have stepped up so aggressively to defend Google+, but even by Google’s own admission, they aren’t trying to compete, they are trying to “make Facebook – Wide Open”.

As they develop their API and developers get caught up with either cross function of their apps in FB and G+ or begin writing integration into G+, I’m sure we’ll find ourselves there and maintaining both platforms. Until then, I’ll keep watching.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Thanks Rob for your comments. I appreciate your perspective about getting along. I’ll try to find the article that said Google isn’t trying to compete and post the link here. I haven’t seen people leaving FB, but I do see everyone getting into G+. I commented already on the Apple/PC comment above, but I like your notion that none is better. Each tools has it’s place and not one tool is the answer. The reason I posed this question here was to better understand what people think is G+’s place. Each of the social networks has a place or, at least, something they are really good at. G+ so far seems to be re-factored code. The spacing, the wall, the interaction, circles (groups in FB), photos, etc… It’s all been done before.

I too hope this doesn’t become a FB v Google debate, but more of an understanding at what makes it valuable vs. re-factored features of all the other social media.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Chris Poirier
    Participant

A few thoughts:

1.) The point you make about there being “no mac vs. pc due to people not knowing anything about it, ” is EXACTLY my point. The “Fan boys/girls” of facebook and google+ alike have drawn the line in the sand and are now arguing pro and con based purely on their understanding of their beloved brand and nothing more. So far, this is 99% of content on this topic.

2.) The “lack” of many of the things you mention are what I like about the interface and is my definition of “cleaner”. Also, its not boxy in its content frames, but flows across the page and tab to tab. To me, the design feature here is far more “smooth” than facebooks some what utilitarian approach to webpage development. Content and connections to content flow page to page and tab to tab. However, I will conceed this is a personal preference more so then possibly a technical break down. Though I am willing to bet that Google will release the API and be more open with it than Facebook. (That being what Google stakes their claim to the market space on..open-ness.)

3.) Completely agree on the open minded development phase, however as previously stated above, feel Google will ultimately rule the “open API” world on this one. It is after all who they are as a corporate entity.

4.) If you are going to base the largest benefit of Facebook on the “data mining” and sharing capability I think you may have missed the point to Google+. Google+, much like twitter allows the world to view your content (if you choose to have it that way). Google+ will also feature customizable URLs (there are some work arounds for this currently, but more dev is coming according to Google.) Google+ has become the social playground of some of the more avid twitter personalities and techfiles out there. (look up and Leo Laporte, both avid tech presences with massive followings and track how they have been using Google+)

As you stated, I think there will be room for both as it will come down to form and personal choice of end users, however I think looking at this Beta through a “facebook lense” is inadvertantly slanting people’s opinions before they even take a close look.

..and as I’ve said before, if you have a comment or something you REALLY want to see in a social tool..send it to Google, they are listening…and you could provide the spark that creates something new.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Very nice. The one true thing Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter have over the G+ at this point is time. I too feel there will not be a shutting down of other forums, but another tool to leverage as business needs are addressed through development.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Got it, thanks. I agree this is BETA and I like the idea of them listening and I even saw my passion that is agile referenced. I hope to see a true agile model surface and see Facebook and Google get together, discuss how to best serve an interactive platform for the end user. Until there is interoperability and single source of data, the multiple platforms are causing duplication of data. As a green wannabe, I hope this is a consideration. Eventually you’ll see google Ads and Facebooks ads on each other’s spaces. If that happened through attrition i see a very expensive way to get to a single source of social information and the difference becomes the plugin for your browser, whether it’s branded FB or Google.

I’m sure the world isn’t ready for these guys to share in the data and information. They would then have to depend on their own brand as you would be choosing which system you log in with. I currently log in with Facebook to online systems. Love the crowdsourcing as the customer engagement is the path to business enlightenment. Bravo Google for putting that first.

Chris, thanks for comments.

Grant Mooney
    Participant

It seems that Google is adopting an Apple-type model. Apple has provided a simple interface with lots of computing power and interoperability among its devices through common software. Google is doing something similar, linking your email, calendar, browsing, blogging, pictures, etc… and now social networking into one platform that is seamlessly integrated. Time will tell, but Google has a solid base and many functional apps that link well on its systems, so the idea has a lot of promise.

I use many of the Google aps. While I have an FB account, I don’t sign on that often (it’s just too many things to check). To put the socail media on a platforn that I am already on dailly is a huge benefit in my eyes.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

I completely agree that finding the place that unifies your routine is valuable. For example, the internal exchange servers of their day integrated with iPad, etc… I use an app called Flipboard that brings FB, Twitter, and LInkedIn into a newspaper type feed. Add to that my blogger feed and the users I follow on Google Blogs, I get a newspaper every morning consisting of all my interfaces. Am I going to move it all online with Google? Probably not. What I should say is “probably not now” Anyone that is saying it’s not going to happen is short sighted, Google need only to produce that “one thing” that got me and it could change the game. As Rob and Chris had said above, I really want to see the improved services Facebook can bring to the table since they now have someone else moving their bar….for us.

As a business owner, I have to put effort into each of these interfaces to ensure we don’t segment our market because of individuals that are native to Google Apps over FB apps.

As a person, I’m connected to everyone on FB and those that needs to follow my status on twitter are there. Eventually they will allow me to post on my Facebook wall and Google wall from twitter, I may see the same results you mention here about single source data. I appreciate your feedback and input from this perspective.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

No problem, thanks for the discussion, this has been the best one on topic so far!

I think this is going to push for more agile development and shot the fruits..hopefully google markets it that way!

Denise Petet
    Participant

I see members of the public just traipsing along, going to the next ‘new and shiny’ program. First there was myspace,then facebook, now maybe this. And in a few years, there’ll be something else and people either grow disenfranchised with google+, or it gets a bad reputation or they just get bored. (I think one of the issues with Facebook has been the revelations about how much they sell your info, even rewriting their privacy policy several times to allow them to sell and ‘share’ more and more info.)

it’s all part of the evolution of anything. They start small, people like them because it’s more personailzed, maybe tweaked to remove big annoyances from a previous competitor, then as they grow the common problems crop up, too many people for them to handle well, abusers, spammers, etc. Costs grow as the population grows so the push for advertising to help pay for that, people getting tired of being advertised to, they start to move onto the next ‘big thing’. they move onto the next ‘small and personal’ and then try or get their friends to follow them.

more and more i see companies just copy their competitors. I’m in neither camp PC or Camp Mac, and use both, but I see Macs getting more PC like and i see PC’s and Microsoft mimic Macs more, just as I see Microsoft mimic Firefox more and more.

I bet there’ll be a competitor for Twitter soon.

I kind of feel that this constant ‘move to the new and pretty’ is just making a social media clutter. You can have an agency that has a facebook page and maybe a myspace page and now they’ll need a google+ page? There’s only so much content anyone can generate (which is usually what kills pages, no new content = no returning readers = the page just dying of lack of attention)

I don’t have myspace or facebook personally, but I do think, if I were in the position to make a decision, as an organization I’d pick one, put my new content there, and as these new things crop up, simply make an entry page with a link back to the one I choose to maintain. It just becomes too much to keep up with. then, few years down the line, if the new is stable and taking over, shift more attention there. Kinda of a wait and see, but not ignore viewpoint. Look and see if there’s water in the pool before you commit resources and jump in head first.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Denise, EXACTLY. (clapping in a coffee shop and getting weird looks)

For the individual we have completely tracked to the new and the shiny. I haven’t seen the business addressed in G+ (that always comes later, regardless of platform), but you just defined our strategy perfectly. We have no myspace, we do have Facebook, and we have G+ accounts. We will always drive to our knowledge base as it grows. (Ex. Here’s our blog, here’s our site, and here’s our social media information radiators (facebook, twitter, etc…)) Social Media was never meant to be the source of information, but a bread crumb to a single source of data.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

I wanted to say to all of you that are commenting, this is a great thread. So many of the “me too” comments are surfacing. This discussion by far embodies the considerations necessary for these types of changes.

Chris, +1 to Agile Development, crowdsourcing the brand and plan

Denise +1 to businesses understanding traffic control over data spamming websites

Rob +1 to collaboration in social media and leveraging each platform.

Grant +1 for seeing the “big picture” of integration.

Let this be a lesson, a beginning of a conversation that continues as we see more and more information and maturity from the Google team, Facebook team, and the so far too quiet Twitter team.

(Chris, FYI, +1 is my way of showing I”m empathetic to Google’s social media engagements…LOL)

Amanda Parker
    Participant

I would agree that the primary benefit is that it’s competition. As a user, I like that. One difference that I would like to note is that you must be 18 to be on Google+ (not that I know how/if it is enforced). I like having a different community, more polished and adult. But perhaps I just like it b/c it’s small (uncluttered, clean, etc..). I joined Facebook when there were a few dozen schools in the mix and my friends were organized based on my course schedule. I do miss that.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Chris Likes this post 🙂

Andreas Addison
    Participant

Google+ seems to be to be a combination of Buzz with a touch functionality and stylings of Twitter and FB with your Gmail contacts. Thus far, I am not impressed with its creativity, lack of bringing something new and innovative to the arena, or that truly being that new or helpful. There is going to be an interesting transition now as people have to decide which format to utilize. Redundancies in FB and Twitter already exist, so how does Google+ intend to involve itself in the equation? To me the connection labels are simply a LinkedIn model adopted to be for anyone you’ve ever contacted before with yout Gmail account. I do however see a golden opportunity for Google to utilize its data capture and mining capabilities to link and combine the functionalities of Gmail, Google+, and Buzz all into one interface in the near future. A way for you to have a bigger link and connection to people through one portal. Honestly, that is probably where they will take this as an ultimate combination of communication through email, chat, text, social media channels, and multimedia sharing.

I’m excited, weary, and at the same time intruiged because we all know that switching between Gmail, FB and Twitter is downright time-wasteful and annoying*.

(*denotes sarcasm)

Denise Petet
    Participant

I think the one huge thing google+ could do that might set it apart…Don’t know about you guys, but myspace adn facebook are blocked by our firewall. Heck, this site was blocked for a while until someone higher up in the food chain got them to unblock it. Our agency maintains a facebook page, and certain people have to have special access to even update it at work since the rest of us are blocked and ‘flagged’ if we try to access it.

And I know we’re not unique in this. now if Google+ could make a ‘G+Personal’ for JOhn Q Public and a G+Professional which hosts only official, confirmed businesses or agencies, i could see it being allowed through firewalls (or at least the case made easier to argue for it). G+Professional would have no games, no farmville, no emphasis on personal info or anything like that. The ads on it would be ads more appropriate for a business – no dating sites, no adult type stuff, no ads for the latest video game (all stuff that triggers our net nanny, dating, gaming, gambling)

That is a market that other social media sites are ignoring. Make yourself ‘presentable’ for the firewall.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

I agree completely with your perspective on this one. Time will tell.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

Good Point! Can you log into GMAIL? If so I would imagine they have it already.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

I think your point is interesting, I still feel like a lot of folks are not looking at the forest through the trees here. Your arguments of, “all this tool does is repeat what is being done,” actually shows EXACTLY what I think Google is attempting to do here. Google+ IS the one stop show so that you don’t have to switch between all of your “favorite” types of social media platforms. I think if you step back a moment and look at the core functionality, Google has offered (read=attempted to offer) a complete solution. It has a “news feed” (though we obviously can’t call it that now can we), it has photo sharing and uploading, it has document sharing and upload, it has networking and ways to organize how you “sort” your contacts. You can get together and video chat, type chat, etc. With more features yet to come (as we are still in active beta) I can’t see what I CAN’T do with just Google+ that I now have to log into Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc to do. (and so far most of the people I follow or converse with have already made the change because they can do it all in one place.)

So as you said, I think the big win here is a single source type of approach..but I think it may be too early to tell for sure what Google is up to..lol

As stated before, I think there is a lot yet to be seen here as the Beta moves forward and more and more functionality comes out. Just remember, no one at Google claimed they wanted to be a “facebook killer” or anything else, they simply have provided a very simplistic tool, that links a lot of your interactions in a pretty straight forward user interface. (that most likely will be 100% open API by the end of the beta.)

The revolution is coming, I just think the stage is being set.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Funny you should ask: I am trying to run a survey on this issue: https://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/facebook-vs-google-a-quick-1

Spread the love so we can see some input!

Short answer..I can log into Gmail..but not Google+ or Gchat..apparently you can block ports and/or unique urls..bummer

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Love the G+ Professional concept. I am waiting to see if GSA announces a roll out as they just went to Google Apps for Government. I am interested to see if Google has approached them for this purpose. Could be a HUGE win in government and private companies etc.

Gadi Ben-Yehuda
    Participant

I Will Leave Facebook (But not Twitter) for Good – You Will, Too

https://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/i-will-leave-facebook-but-not

Denise Petet
    Participant

I know Yahoo’s new mail is aiming for a lot of this. Links to social media, sharing photos, etc. however I switched and tried it in February or so…and after 3 days of being largely unable to access my mail due to their own ‘internal errors’ I switched back. And I won’t embrace their ‘new and improved’ mail until they force it upon me sometime in the future and I worry about all the confirmation mails i have sitting in my yahoo box that I may not be able to access if those errors of theirs repeat themselves. (errors that were only acknowledged with form reply mails that came days later)

one bad experience coupled with a complete and total lack of any sort of support or even admission ‘yeah, we had a problem but we fixed it’ acknowledgement has put me off their whole program.

Google+ will face this same thing. To integrate as much as they are integrating, they’re only as strong as their weakest service. Write the code wrong and all of a sudden your service is succeptible to every one of Twitter’s regular short term outages. Don’t allow people to opt out of stuff they don’t want, and you’ll have people not using your service because they dont’ like being ‘stuck’ with stuff that they don’t want and that bogs things down. (there was a social media page that tried to promote its new games by inserting large links on everyone’s main profile page – people complained loudly and stridently and quite colorfully until they made it go away or set it so that you could opt out. Recently the iPhone app for twitter updated and put a ‘trend bar’ at the top of your feed…full of ‘sponsored trends’ (read ads)…people not only complained many dumped the main twitter app for ones that didn’t have that bar because you couldn’t turn it off. The moral of the story, try to force too much on people and they rebel.)

Not only is any service like this only as good as its weakest element, it’s also only as good as it’s behavior. Just this morning I listened to 2 newscasters and 2 radio personalities, apparently the newscasters got invites to Google+, and in signing up for it it seems that Google+ used their contact list to send out info and invites about the service, pretty much without the knowledge of the newscasters and much to the irritation of the radio personalities who have received constant mails now. To the point that they’re calling it spam and apparently something Google+ is terming a ‘glitch’.

Even giving the benefit of the doubt and it’s a glitch, ‘glitches’ like that turn people off a service. For me, even the idea that tthey’ll use my contact list to send mails to people without my consent has me seriously not even wanting to touch the program.

Michael Gizzi
    Participant

Scotty, I have had that similar thought, but the more I play with Google +, the more I think there is real potential here. Yes, it duplicates many aspects, but with a fresh approach. Not ready to say its an exclusive Facebook or G+, but I am sure that there are some who will “draw a line in the sand.”

But this is so early, its just exciting to be a part of it from the beginning, and see where Google and third party developers take us. I am already installing Chrome extensions that extend the power of Plus.

Amelia Brunelle
    Participant

I agree. I can’t find anything about Google+ that adds actual value to me. I don’t need or want to group video chat really, and without built in compatibility to bring information, photos, events etc. over from facebook, it’s just another platform that requires duplicate postings. Perhaps it will grow into something wonderful, but right now it’s just a sterile (aka boring) looking version of what already exists.

Gregory Butera
    Participant

I posted this on another forum here too, but figured those reading this thread might be interested as well. Saw this and thought it was amusing. I have no idea whether the privacy concerns are overblown or real, but thought this was funny.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/07/13/1317252/Zuckerberg-Quits-Go

Google+ is definitely a redo of existing media forums. The only big difference, to me, is that all of your content can be in one big google bubble. All of your emails, calendars, purchasing, searches are in one place. Granted, Google will know everything about you but……I kinda think that I would like it all in one place. My thoughts anyway.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

I appreciate your thoughts. I have been out of town and am back now so I’m sorry i’ve taken a moment to respond. I get the value of all things in one place, but if the 750 MIL users in my current network aren’t in my safe, then duplicating the content in a location no one is reading seems business pointless.

Appreciate your comment James.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

+1 LOL

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

It’s good to see a local talking to me about this thing. Glad to have you as usual my friend.

I agree it has potential and I agree, it’s nice to be at inception, but I have to recognize you stand where I stand, we are “playing” with G+. As a business coach, my recommendations are still with not fixing what’s not broken. Too much free reign to add comments to extended connections, etc… The risk management alone is enough to wait as a business.

Michael Gizzi
    Participant

I am looking at it as a potential collaborative tool for research, a way to bring people with similar interests together, but I see your point.

Yet I have also been thinking about this as a great way for my wife to communicate with the consultants on her team. She works with people all over the country, and Google Plus’ ability to share just with one circle – or with a combination of them, has great potential for her; something she has been frustrated at her inability to do so effectively. While FB can be made to accomplish the same thing, it is much more convoluted. And the integration of google services like GDocs could make it much easier for her. We’ll see.

Michael Gizzi
    Participant

Google already knows everything about you. LOL 😉

F. Cavalcante
    Participant

Google no big news on social networks.
    Videoconference equivalent to Skype. I remembered the old CU-SeeMe and Netmeeting.

Scotty Bevill
    Participant

haha, Netmeeting. I’m with you. Love it.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

I have found it amusing that this is the position of a great deal of people, “Google+ would be awesome if I could just port 100% of my Facebook data over.” Really? The ONLY thing that makes it not worth your time is that the world you created in Facebook (a competitor) can’t be simply moved over?

Though I get this rational, I’ve noted that a lot of very public people who are maintaining their personal brand found absolutely no issue with this; in fact, they just picked up one day and moved out. They didn’t worry about bringing things over, they simply started new and do in fact maintain multiple postings. (They do this because they know their fan base is everywhere and many went over to G+) The thing I find most interesting is that most are producing MORE content on G+ then their other locations. It seems that they have more flexibility and like the ability to provide more information instead of less. (They also point all their web presences at one another.)

If anything, what I’ve seen taking place is some are stepping up to the ability to provide more with more, while others are drowning in their own content. To me we are witnessing digital evolution, the strong will survive and the weak will inherit Facebook…. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.