Got a Tip for those Moving to DC?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Got a Tip for those Moving to DC?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I was talking to a friend the other day who was transferring from a fed gov field location to DC and they wanted advice on moving.

So I thought this must be a somewhat common move and thought I’d ask GovLoopers – What’s your tip for those moving to DC?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

My suggestions were:

-dcist.com was one of my favorite sites along with washingtonpost.com

-all neighborhoods in DC trade-off these four items – cost, proximity to metro/city, safety, and size. You have to decide what you are willing to give up. Somewhat affordable, close to city, decent size, and questionable safety – H Street. Expensive, in city, safe, and medium size – Foggy Bottom.

-Walk on the Left, Chill on the right…metro…

I really liked the Washington City Paper for finding what was happening in terms of music, movies, museums and beyond…

Related – I think folks take for granted the museums and monuments while living there. And yet now that I don’t live there and go back pretty often, I never cease to be in awe of the natural and man-made beauty of our nation’s capitol. Savor it while you’re there! Schedule time to explore.

If you’re into exercise or nature, Rock Creek Park is incredible. Can’t tell you how many times I ran or biked along there…and took little jumps into the zoo for variation. Also, the C&O tow path with the Potomac on one side the canal on the other…between these two places, you can get your fitness on for miles and miles.

I could come up with tons more, but eager to hear what others have to say!

Joshua Salmons
    Participant

Yeah, there are definitely neighborhood options around DC that will get tons more bang-for-buck. DC is very heavily a commuter city. It was a few years back, but I heard the statistic that about 300,000 live in the city, but its population swells to 1.5 million during the day, with all the commuters.

I live in College Park, Md., because I work at Fort Meade and have a lot of job-related things in the city (Pentagon, agencies, etc.). That said, when I soon leave the service, I’m probably moving down to Arlington or Alexandria. My former roommate, who also recently exited the service, has a nicer apartment down there and pays less, less insurance, less taxes…

transportgooru
    Participant

First, Welcome to the City of Power and Politics. Apart from the great input others have offered, I’d like to add this one, developed by United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management, Washington, D.C. This exhaustive resource listing comes with a warning on its page “Please note that this Guide is intended for informational use only. The preparation and dissemination of this Guide, by the Department of Justice or the offices therein, does not constitute an endorsement of any of the products, services, or businesses listed.” Definitely worth checking out:

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/dcresourceguide.htm

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Denise Kennedy
    Participant

Do everything and see everything the first year you are here. After that the novelty of the city and all it has to offer wears off and you will start to see the amazing museums and offerings of DC as tourist trap. But, if you can capture all of that in the first year you will have a better appreciation of DC and be much better at playing host to friends.

Also, don’t only hang out in the neighborhood which you live. DC has lots of great areas with lots to offer.

And most importantly, when on escalator – stand right and walk left 🙂

Sarah Wholey
    Participant

As a native, and someone who just welcomed a new co-worker from the north, just know this: DC was built on a tidal marsh and is VERY HUMID. If you have hair that is effected by humidity, figure out what to do with it between May and August!

We used to have afternoon thunderstorms regularly in the summer which would give short-lived relief from the humidity, but no more. Now we tend to have those in the Fall, messing up everyone’s rec league sports.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.