Government employees helping government employees make “Better Government”

Home Forums Budgeting Government employees helping government employees make “Better Government”

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Justin Mosebach 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

David Paschane
    Participant

If you want to discuss transformative performance with other govies, join us at the LinkedIn group, “Better Government” – a more tactical group.

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

You should consider opening it up to more then just members of the government. Seems like group think could happen (for one thing). Thoughts?

David Paschane
    Participant

Justin,

With all due respect to the wealth of expertise in the “private sector” – though I would not say that many consultants to the government are in the private sector at large, they are shadow government. I am sure you would give government employees more credit than call their collaboration “Group Think?” So, what do you call any formal collaboration, such as ACT-IAC, CIO Council, GITEC, ect. These are specific folks who by their role choose to focus on their collaborative capacity. The “Better Government” group is where govies help govies – both here and around the world. We get plenty of consultants and vendors at the door every day, and I’ve always given them my time and full attention, and frankly, I’ve helped them understand their value more often than they help me. But eventually, better government is not a business – it is people empowered by the commitment of their organization, and the citizens they serve.

With regard to openness, if I post a general discussion on “Better Government,” I post it on govloop too. However, if my colleagues want to speak to each other for a time, that is their choice.

Thank you for your concern,

David

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

It’s completely understandable that government employees would want to get advice from one-another. However, sometimes people who don’t work in government have done more research and have more experience in a subject matter that someone might have a question on. Does that help clarify?

David Paschane
    Participant

Justin,

I’d like to understand your thinking. Your interest in our group think and less expertise is difficult to understand.

Some of my colleagues have been at this for 30+ years. This is my 16th year. Some of my colleagues graduated from top schools and advanced degrees, as did I. Some of my colleagues have diversified their skills to cover a broad swath of knowledge, from IT to contracting. Some go out to be consultants, and come back in with cross-agency expertise. There are 300,000 talented people in my organization, and we work with many more colleagues across other agencies.

I belive that there are vendors out there, besides CDS Group, who would argue they have talent too, but I doubt they would suggest the government has less expertise. We are big and work with many complex parameters, but that does not minimize our capacity.

Anyone else care to comment – government or vendor?

Thank you,
    David

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

Maybe these posts by Jenn Gustetic would help explain: “Jennovation 1.0: Leveraging Innovation, Open Government, and Public…” and “Jennovation 1.1: Don’t Go it Alone: Why Public-Private Partnerships …

Point is, people outside of the government can add value to those inside.

David Paschane
    Participant

Justin,

My IT organization, only IT, spends over $2 Billion on outside help. That is a lot.

That is more than the budget size of most agencies.

Personally, I have lead plenty of public-private partnerships, and I know the strengths and weaknesses of doing so.

I do know that the root cause of many failed projects, including those that have private-public partnerships is the egos that are inserted.

Thank you,
    David

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

Thanks for the conversation. Hopefully I didn’t come across as rude.

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

And in full disclosure, I work for a company that helps governments put video of meetings online.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.