“Government Hooker” – Lady Gaga’s Commentary on Open Government?

Home Forums Miscellaneous “Government Hooker” – Lady Gaga’s Commentary on Open Government?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alicia Mazzara 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

So the song itself was released back in early March, but I just learned about it via Twitter (see image to the right).

And I don’t get it. Seriously. I don’t get what Lady Gaga is trying to say with the song “Government Hooker.” In case you haven’t heard it, the lyrics and audio are below.

So I’m definitely puzzled on the connection to Open Government that Luigi Montanez suggests above (and who is likely being facetious). Do you see it? Maybe I’m just getting old and curmudgeonly, but I don’t think Lady Gaga cares much about Open Gov…just selling records and pushing the boundaries of acceptable behavior.

What I do see is that she’s perpetuating the negative perception of government with the next generation who comprise her fans and followers. And that really bothers me. Do you agree? Does it matter?

“Government Hooker” – Lyrics

I can be good, if you just wanna be bad
    I can be cool, if you just wanna be mad
    I can be anything
    I’ll be your everything
    Just touch me baby, I don’t wanna be sad

As long as I’m your hooker
    (Back up and turn around)
    (Get her to the ground)
    (Get her to the ground)

Hookah! Yeah, you’re my hooker
    Hookah! Government hooker
    Hookah! Yeah, you’re my hooker
    Hookah! Government Hooker

I’m gonna drink my tears tonight
    I’m gonna drink my tears and cry
    ‘Cause I know you love me baby
    I know you love me baby

I could be girl, unless you want to be man.
    I could be sex, unless you want to hold hands.
    I could be anything, I could be everything.
    I could be mom, unless you want to be dad.

(Get her to the ground)

Hookah! Yeah, you’re my hooker.
    Hookah! Government hooker.
    Hookah! Yeah, you’re my hooker.
    Hookah! Government Hooker.

Put your hands on me, John F. Kennedy. I’ll make you squeal, baby, as long as you pay me.

I wanna f— up on that hooker.
    Stop shi–in’ me, government hooker.
    I wanna f— up on that hooker.
    Stop shi–in’ me, government hooker.

Alicia Mazzara
    Participant

I also don’t see the Open Government connection (also pretty sure Lady Gaga does not care), unless Luigi is just trying to be funny. 😉 With the JFK reference, I feel like this song is more a nod to political sex scandals than government itself. On the upside, Andy, I can hardly understand what she’s saying, so hopefully the youth of America won’t read too much into it.

Eric Erickson
    Participant

Wow…you and this Luigi fella are really reading into the lyrics. I don’t think Gaga has any sort of political agenda here, nor do I at all interpret it as a manifesto about open government.

I did see a post from someone who saw her perform this song at the Plaza Hotel in New York City. She apparently stated to the audience that she herself is a government hooker, and explained that she’s a hooker, but she still pays her taxes and does her service for the government.

Of course, my guess is she just wants you to grab a cocktail, put your hands in the air, and dance. Either way, great artists inspire people to discuss issues, which is exactly what we’re doing here.

One last thing, I’m hardly “the next generation,” and I consider myself a “little monster.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.