Government is the cloud – keep it that way

Home Forums Technology Government is the cloud – keep it that way

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Srinidhi Boray 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Robert Deitz II
    Participant

The current discussions on cloud computing are nothing new. In the 90’s it was moving away from mainframes to a “distributed environment” to better utilize multiple resources. In the early part of this decade is was the “ASP Model”, same as today’s cloud except that was a “one to one” relationship and the current discussion defines the cloud as one to many. If we want to go back to the 80’s it was mini computers vs. mainframes. Same discussion. Same problems. The issue is that the Government is not private business. Ask NASA about that when they decied to use COTS products to build a probe to land on Mars. It crashed because the parts were not compatible. Problem was there was no private business building probes to go land on Mars, so it was illogical that they would be able build something cheaper using “COTS” materials. And the federal Government today has many functions that they, and only they do. That is the way is should be (does every company need a SOCOM to gather information?). That data, and the resources needed to create it do not have comparables in the private sector. While there may be comparable size models such as Google or eBay, they do not have the security requirements of the CIA or DHS. The thought that the Army could take their e-mail or web pages and just outsource those to a private provider, who would offer the same level of security and confidentiality is not logical. It may be cheaper up front, but as NASA found out the cost in the long term can be quite considerable. And loosing a probe that took 5 years to build is one thing, having 757’s or power plants remote controlled by those that want to do harm to us is quite another.

The Federal Government invented the Internet. They developed Super Computers. They have the space and facilites that are secure today. They should be their own cloud – there is no logical reason for them to even put using commercial cloud technology on the table.

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

There are couple of considerations in the Govt Cloud, some of them are

Govt apps (like in iTune, Google Apps)

Storage / Virtualization

Mainframes / Server

To each of these Fed CIO has a vision, although very presentation layer centric.

Govt is only looking at ways to subsidize the spend on IT, mostly in the infrastructure spend area, which constitutes about $30 Billion of the total $76 Billion IT Portfolio. To this effect they are hoping to drive for “economy of scale”.

Like you suggest, cybersecurity remains an issue. And, then money spend on Fed IT seems to have much redundancies.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

I agree. This is essentially the classic agent problem in government. Government hires contractors or outsources services expecting security, reliability, and performance for the money. But the provider only realizes a profit by providing the least-amount of service for the highest cost they can negotiate. Google may have the best cloud out there but they have more clients than just the government and they will pay more attention to the customer who gives them more money for their services. Of course there will be corners cut in security, reliability, and performance so that Google can squeeze out more profit. Simple economics.

If you need proof, look at how contracting worked in the Iraq war – http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/warriors/view/

The Cloud is too important for Government 2.0 to entrust to private industry. The government needs its own cloud if only to provide the security and performance that we owe the American public.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I agree with all the comments above. What we really have to figure out is how to get those rock stars who are going to private sectors back into the public sector. I don’t know if that means paying more or better recruiting or whatever but the people developing out google or facebook need to be the same people developing out Gov 2.0. I know that’s a little off topic but if we intend to not outsource the Gov Cloud by then we need to bring the best people in.

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Unfortunately if one analysis the fed contracts it will be evident that nexus exists between the private and govt . This cloud theory too has much of the private hand in it. Before cloud computing vision was formed there existed IT Optimization, it had similar vision like in Cloud. But then Google, Amazon, Web 2.0 all these began to drive government decisions, that in future will eventually make IT vendors more profitable.

Just by ensuring mere ethics, fair-play will allow people to work in the Fed with motivation those are objective. Certainly like in the past govt has been place for much creativity and innovation as mentioned by others. Despite the fact that destructive creation has some merits, such ideas have to be explored in the larger scope of socio-economic sustains, and not technological progress alone.

Of the figures that I gave before, only about $9 Billion or so of $76 Billion can be used for any real optimization and even cloud computing. In $30 Billion, %60 is the human labor cost 🙂

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Notice this sentence from the story – White House moves Recovery.gov to Amazon’s cloud:

“This is a production system,” said Kundra, during a press briefing today. “That’s a critical difference from other agencies that have been testing or piloting. We don’t have data that’s sensitive in nature or vital to national security here.”

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

They can give me the funds for the fraud oversight, after paying my mortgage arrears, I will still give govt multiple times of that investment by already conducted due-dilligence.

They slap on your face by every f’ing way they can.

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

NASA : Moon seems farfetched, no problem lets go to Clouds

http://fcw.com/articles/2009/12/04/diaz-moves-to-nasa.aspx

Robert Deitz II
    Participant

This statement, by the US Governments CIO, is shocking in it’s seeming lack of basic security knowledge. One of my biggest issues over the last 14 years in discussions with officials on security is first define what you mean. If in fact Cyber Security is a defense against Cyber Warfare, you must look at basic warfare doctrine to know if you are putting up the right defenses. And the first doctrine is never attack the enemy’s strongest point (it didn’t work for Picket and Lee at Gettysburg, it won’t work now). Create a diversion and flank them. In Cyber terms, that means use a “trusted source” to allow you in the door, and then breach where there are the least defenses.
    So let’s say I was the Chinese trying to get into the Executive Office of the President to find out what he was planning next. I would not try to breach the EOP site if I knew that Recovery.gov was vulnerable, and yet was directly connected to the White House. If the White House is uploading data, someone there has a direct link to the site. And someone at the site can reply back to them. I am going to attack and take over Recovery.gov as it is much easier, I then get the keys to the White Hose as I am a trusted site and source.
    I can give hundreds of other examples, it seems that the Government has not yet defined what they want to do with Cyber Security, and thus the Cloud Seems like a good idea. I know it does to the Chinese and Russians and Mexican Drug Cartels and ………..

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Why did the cybersecurity chief step down ? politics, mediocrity, agendas compromises country’s security. How shameful.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124932480886002237.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/07/AR2009080702805.html

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

https://www.govloop.com/forum/topics/can-cloud-computing-work-for

Can cloud computing work for mission-critical applications?
    Posted by David Lucas on May 17, 2010 at 12:30pm in Cloud Computing
    Send Message View Discussions
    There is a lot of chatter about cloud computing and whether it can work for mission critical applications. We’ve implemented a cloud-based model:

http://gcn.com/articles/2010/02/01/department-of-labor-financial-ma

We are looking to speak with others that have been successful and how we can spread this knowledge to the larger community. What were the hurdles you overcame?

Correct me if I am wrong :-

I presume GCE accomplished cloud computing within one of the following contracts, to have begun the contract in 4th qtr 2008 and to have delivered it in 2010 ? Right …

From studying the below contracts, it seems that GCE started cloud computing projects even before Fed CIO Vivek Kundra and Obama Administration announced his / their plans for cloud computing, which means to recast ITIO and ITI-LOB which only happened during May of 2009.

Does anyone at GCE has anything to say?

$2,118,771 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-04-13 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,653,568 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2008-12-08 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,537,843 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-09-03 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,500,000 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-09-03 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,092,157 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-06-26 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    15 minutes left to edit your comment.
    ▶ Reply to This
    Permalink Reply by Srinidhi Boray 2 hours ago
    Delete
    David,

Is someone puling a fast one out here. I was to work with Marlene Howze Chief Architect DOL beginning last month, I was prematurely terminated within two days and taken off the project.

Looking at various investments, minor and major, those reported and those not reported to OMB, the truth will be flushed out.

This investment that it is major needs to be reported to OMB, I don’t see anything reported.

I think there is something very fishy going on here, in the $500 Million IT portfolio at DOL.

srinidhi

“Enterprisewide system is installed in 18 months for less that $10 million

By Rutrell Yasin
    Feb 02, 2010
    Officials at the Labor Department decided two years ago that the best way to replace their 20-year old financial managent system was to install a pre-configured solution that could be integrated across more than 22 agencies and organizations.

The seeds of that decision have finally borne fruit with Labor moving to a cloud computing-based financial management system, said David Lucas, chief strategy officer of Global Computer Enterprises, the contractor on the project.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.