Government Networking “Jujitsu” Moves

Home Forums Careers Government Networking “Jujitsu” Moves

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Egger 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Jay Krasnow
    Participant

I got one of my biggest breaks in my government career because I was reorganized into a job I didn’t want and had no skills to do. I used this unfortunate turn of events to my advantage as a springboard to network my way into a job I wanted but hadn’t been able to get previously. What types of Networking Jujitsu Moves have helped you advance in your career?

Jay

Eric Egger
    Participant

Sounds like a great success story! Can you talk a little more about what specifically you did and what strategies you used to network successfully into the job you did want?

Jay Krasnow
    Participant

It all started like I said. I was at a job that wasn’t exactly in the field I wanted but but I was doing well at. After a year and a half on the job the office was disbanded. Most of my team were put into finance jobs in other offices. But I had no background or skills in finance and had no desire to learn. I had more skills in writing and other forms of communication, having worked as a journalist. But I had never worked in Public Affairs before.

I put together a professional porfolio of my best works including one or two articles I did in my job at the office that was disbanded and showed it to my new supervisor. The supervisor acknowledged that financial management didn’t suit my skills, and she promised to make a few calls for me. She was able to work out a three-week “trial” detail at the office I wanted to be in. Three weeks became a month and it was two or three months before they remembered that I was on a 3 week detail. I ended up staying in that job for over a year as a “detailee” before moving onto another job. That detail jump-started my career and is a good reference point for future career opportunities.

The other part of the equation is that I had completed a “job shadow” program of all the managers in the office I wanted to work in several months earlier, so all the managers recognized my face and name when the idea of me detailing to their office came up.

The bottom line is that knowing people and making connections with them can have a positive affect on your career.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.