GovGoByeBye: What Websites Would YOU Cut?

Home Forums Technology GovGoByeBye: What Websites Would YOU Cut?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

President Obama and Vice President Biden announced the “Campaign to Cut Waste” yesterday and one of the key areas where they plan to reduce redundancy includes government websites.

Want to start browsing a small part of the 2,000 websites on the list? Click here.

Obama quipped that he’d cut the “Fiddlin’ Foresters,” which appears to be chopped already.

So I’m wondering:

Got a website that you absolutely KNOW is ready to be pruned?

Got ideas for how agencies can decide what to eliminate or consolidate?

*******************************************************************************************************

Related Discussion: GovLaunch: White House Unveils “Campaign to Cut Waste”

*******************************************************************************************************

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’m all for pruning but I think it’s pretty tough to pull off so will be fascinated to see how they do it.

I see it at a super small scale at govloop. Should we do stuff as sub-domains like data.govloop.com or full domains. Should our conference have its own website-nextgengovt.com or be a part of govloop

I think there’ll be a number of websites that are clearly not needed but also some tough choices

Don Pickerel
    Participant

I’m not sure the content needs to be eliminated as much as multiple servers do. For instance, the house.gov sites are going to Drupal which allows one installed instance of software to support, but as many virtual sites as is needed for all representatives. This eliminates a lot of overhead of servers, backups, and access lines.

Then an advanced search engine can search across the sites based on similar or repetitive content, and that can be eliminated if necessary. Also any content that’s not actively maintained and updated can be put on a notification list so that it can be reviewed for relevancy. It’s easy to forget pages that quickly become outdated and misleading or harmful in the information it provides.

CollabNature
    Participant

Okay, after careful consideration……………

time.gov

There are some uses for this site…I can only think of 1 though…..no offense

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

How did you find that needle in the haystack?

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

The White House also announced that they plan to invite the public to “offer feedback”. Here’s a few thoughts I shared with the White House (if they’re reading it, that is): White House To Seek Input (Again): A Few Basic Tips to Make It Work

David Fletcher
    Participant

I would not cut Time.gov. It is a site that I have used for years and has a legitimate use, much of its value being derived from the simple, straightforward URL. It can’t cost much at all to maintain because it never changes. Another site that I would not have cut is already gone: America.gov, a site that displayed the U.S. to the world.

In trying to respond to this post, I found another one retired: http://earthasart.gsfc.nasa.gov

I think we need to exercise care with just randomly retiring sites just because it’s something that we don’t support. The web is built on links and it can get frustrating when we just start breaking things. There are MANY ways to cut costs in government. I wish we would get all those data centers consolidated and virtualized before we start hacking through websites.

Wendell Black
    Participant

I’ve been to the site, and I can’t agree with you more.

I really like this answer, Dave. Seems like a band-aid when we need surgery.

I like the government websites. It allows folks to data, information, and services provided by the government for citizen use. It is a channel or connection a citizen has to communicate with his government. I would not cut the government websites. I feel cutting the website is censorship.

Warren Lunsford

If you cut out the websites, you cut out citizen’s ability to offer feedback.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I would definitely get rid of the OMB Max website and just use readily available social media instead.

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

First victim? http://www.cia.gov 😉

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Some examples from a Tech Bisnow article today

Every time there’s a new agency initiative, people think it needs a new website (couldIhavelupus.gov, deserttortise.gov, and dolphinsafe.govare real examples).

Erica Schachtell
    Participant

i’ve seen the Fiddlin’ Foresters play. They’re pretty good. and I can still sing the refrain from their poignant rendition”Cold Missouri Waters” even though it was years ago…

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Yep – gotta go. There are many, many websites that do the same thing, but better.

Denise Petet
    Participant

I’m torn. I can see that there are stupid sites out there. And I can also see the need to consolidate, perhaps having one person running several sites (many websites, once they’re up, are pretty easy to run…you just add more content or fix bugs). On the other hand, there is so much buerocracy and red tape already, i can see why some groups don’t want to consolidate. The beauty of a web site is ‘instantly’ putting info out there, but the more layers of red tape you add the less instant it becomes. And all of a sudden fixing a typo on a web site will require a committee meeting and 3 pages of forms to be filled out.

I can also see the perils in consolidating too much onto the same servers…put more eggs in one basket and if that basket gets tipped, you lose it all. However, consolidating servers could result in less cost and with appropriate backups being made, those things can be taken care of.

So I don’t think cutting is a bad thing, but I think care needs to be taken when using those scissors. And I also think consolidating could be a good alternative to cutting.

Joy Gatewood
    Participant

So I am all for consumer safety. Its important – I want to be safe. Let’s all be safe!

But do we really need all these websites in addition to cpsc.gov ??

PoolSafely.gov

ATVSafety.gov

saferproducts.gov

Recalls.gov

Maybe we do need them to be really, really safe? What do you think?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.