Govies Who TRAVEL

Home Forums Miscellaneous Govies Who TRAVEL

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Candace Riddle
    Participant

You know the story. The one about the guy who takes his smelly shoes off on the plane, while setting next to you, the missed flight that results in lunch with a cowboy and standby to LA. If you’re a govie who travels you’ve been there, you’ve done that. You’ve crammed 7 days worth of luggage into a carry on to avoid paying the baggage fee and ran through IAD or DCA until you broke a sweat.

If you are like me you have stories to tell. Post them here and visit my blog for more tales, and yes even some funny pictures fromt the road.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Met a guy who makes life-size replicas of video game characters and sells them to big video makers that they bring to conferences and other PR things. Like huge lifesize Halo characters. Says it was a hobby and now a huge business (tens of millions of dollars)

Candace Riddle
    Participant

@GovLoop…where do people get these ideas? That is the best part of traveling is being able to hear all the stories….Everyone has a story.

Marcheta Gillespie
    Participant

I once was seated next to a woman who did indeed take off her shoes and then commenced to cross her leg across her lap and rub her feet (no socks!). I was trapped in the middle seat and had to ensure not only being grossed out, but also attempting to protect myself from the smell. And of course, there is always the occasion (as with my most recent trip) of being seated in front of a small child who decided to kick my chair most of the flight while his parents did nothing about it. Since I have children, I kinda just let it go, but it was a long 3 hour flight. Gotta love flying coach!

Carol Davison
    Participant

But Julie, did you actually get to travel in the weinermobile?

As for the stinkos, bring a scented lip balm and apply it under your nostrils. It outstinks the odoriferous. And you don’t know stinky until you traveled on crowded public transportation in Southern Italy in the summer. They don’t bathe or launder as often as we do.

Alan L. Greenberg
    Participant

I once sat in coach between two professional wrestlers (claimed they were brothers). Nice guys and interesting conversation but large, reducing my elbow room from slim to none. Then there was the little elderly woman who found out I was a government man (I wasn’t yet THE Government Man). She bent my ear about her dealings with Social Security and then told me about her grandson who was a “big deal” at some obscure municipal agency.

http://www.thegovernmentman.com

Jennifer Moore
    Participant

Got that right! Coach is th answer if you can afford it. Let me tell you about the the guy who was just smelly all over on my last flight, he smells as if he was coming out of the dumpster. The flight was full and I had no choice but to sit through the entire two hours flight with my handsover my mouth and nose. Did not even have a two ounce bottle of something in my purse that probably could have helped. Although, when you mix sweet smelly stuff with bad smelly stuff it makes it somewhat worse smelly. Flying sometime can be deadly, no matter what you do there is always something. I wanted to give him a shower so bad, but it was not possible.

Robert Powell
    Participant

In 1992, I was working on site in Guam when Typhoon Omar hit the island. Power and water went out, but the Guam Hilton where I was staying had a generator. Fortunately, the hotel was built like a fortress. All we could do was stand in the lobby and watch things flying around outside at 150 MPH. After the typhoon passed, I was on the first flight off the island.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Robert – I just had this experience in DC this August. I was staying at the Gaylord in National Harbour. While there I experienced the earthquake and hurricane in one week. The hurricane was a bit unsettling given their large glass atrium, but for the most part the hotel was very well prepared. We lost some power in our conference rooms, but power in my hotel room continued. It was definately the most exciting conference I’ve ever attended.

David Resseguie
    Participant

I’ve got one from just this week during my stay at a hotel down in Huntsville. I was getting ready for an early morning meeting, hung my clothes for the day on the back of the door (you know, to help get the travel wrinkles out with the steam), and started to set the water temperature in the shower. All of a sudden, the shower head breaks in half and starts spewing water all over the bathroom. Instinctively I reach down to quickly turn the water off, but the knob is loose and it just spins in place. I finally finagled the handle to turn the water off, but not before drenching all my dress clothes for the day and finding myself standing in a large puddle of water outside the tub.

David Resseguie
    Participant

Maybe that new per diem calculator and ratings mashup could help me choose an alternative place to stay next time. 😉

Deena Larsen
    Participant

This was back in the United “No, we are not striking strike.” I was flying back from Reagan, and all flights had been cancelled, delayed, etc. We stayed until midnight, when the desk closed. Since it was an act of pilots, not God, there were no hotel vouchers or even an I’m sorry. Just come back tomorrow!.

Bad enough. Won’t even tell you the bureaucratic nightmares of paperwork. But there was a 13-year-old kid who had flown in from Paris and who was going to be transferred directly to a flight to Denver. Somehow, they “lost” her–so she had no place to stay. I called her parents with her long distance, then explained in my poor french what was going on. I took her back to my hotel, got us a room, and got out to her host family the next day. No one was going to take care of that poor kid!

Eileen Roark
    Participant

I flew internationally on numerous occasions and never experienced a problem until 9/11. That’s when everything went to Hell in a hand basket. All those paranoid people running amok; I’ll never forget it. Although foreign travel was a job requirement, few of the males I worked with ever went anywhere, let alone deploy to combat zones which is a condition of employment. The line in the sand for me was when a male co-worker stated that his spouse forbade him to go TDY. I had already listened to two co-workers who had been TDY to Brussels and ate peanut butter and crackers to bring home money. The Sicko of the Century Award belongs to an Italian–American Army officer who went TDY to Italy. During his extended stay, the wacko stayed in his room and ate canned tuna. This person spoke perfect Italian, yet chose to live like a tramp. Given his mental health issues, it didn’t surprise me when he bought a house sight unseen based on info he received from a couple of fellow cruise ship strangers he had just met. I can only celebrate that he’s too old to bother anyone else. I can assure him that we will not be moving to PennsylTucky anytime soon, so enjoy.

Wow–amazing! Thank you for both caring and taking charge of the situation for that young girl.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

This takes me back to my first job with the federal government. The Defense Mapping Agency sent me to the Strategic Air Command in Omaha for training. I showed up with my orders at the Visiting Officers Quarters and they couldn’t find me on the reservation sheet. This was in the days before e-mail and cell phones. I looked at the sheet and saw that their FAX machine enlarged the image slightly. I pointed to the top of the sheet where my name and registration info had been cut off; you could just see the bottom half of the letters. They were full, but they did find me a billet; a temporary one for the first night, and then on closer to my group.

Raymond Clark
    Participant

Well done! Taking on that responsibility is not something most people would do. Give yourself a raise!

Raymond Clark
    Participant

In my first major overseas TDY, 2nd Lt Clark was the junior member among a group of Lt Cols and Cols–all flyers no less. We started on a small flight from Valdosta, GA to Atlanta, GA. I noticed puddles under each strut of the small airplane. “Isn’t that a problem?” I asked our 20+ year veteran pilots. Answer: “Don’t worry about it kid, a little fluid isn’t a big deal. You can guess what happened next…yes, we had to return to the airport due to loss of hydraulics.

So, this led to delays along the entire route. Revised flights, military aircraft and commercial, long hold overs, etc. Twenty hours later we arrived at our location in Aviono AB, Italy…at midnight…first shift started 0500. The return flight was even better, but I’ll save that for another day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.