GovLaunch: Court dismisses an EPIC case against FTC regarding Google

Home Forums Technology GovLaunch: Court dismisses an EPIC case against FTC regarding Google

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Nextgov reported Friday that a federal judge with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia dismissed a case against the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC). The case charged the FTC with not enforcing a consent agreement between the FTC and advertising giant Google, as well as charging that Google should be blocked from consolidating data.

However, the Court ruled that it was not their duty to enforce the agreement. Judge Amy Jackson concluded that the decision to enforce the Consent Order is committed to agency discretion and is not subject to judicial review”.

EPIC is set to appeal the ruling.

Can a government agency be sued for not enforcing its own agreements and regulations?

Henry Brown
    Participant

the “complete” event history from EPIC’s perspective… http://epic.org/privacy/ftc/google/consent-order.html

Henry Brown
    Participant

Would offer that your question “Can a government agency be sued for not enforcing its own agreements and regulations?” probably will need to be addressed in a much higher court…

If the question is slightly changed to can an agency be sued for not performing it’s duties IMO the question would be yes but…

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Thanks for the input, Henry. I like the way you worded the question, and I agree with what you said. I’m not too well-versed on the court system, but I assume if they appeal it would go to a higher court at some point, right?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.