GovLaunch: ExpertNet – Got Tips for Success?

Home Forums Technology GovLaunch: ExpertNet – Got Tips for Success?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

A few days ago, Tim Bonneman pointed out an RFI that had hit the streets for something called ExpertNet. Well, the White House officially announced the ExpertNet initiative today.

A few questions to drive discussion:

1 – Do you think it was a wise choice to use a wiki instead of a crowd-sourcing platform?

2 – Will the average citizen get engaged…or will it only attract government geeks (like us!), special interest groups and software developers…and is that okay?

3 – If you don’t think the average citizen will get involved, what are your suggestions for attracting a wider array of insights and expertise?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

A few interim answers to your three questions:

1. While Wikispaces may be best known for its core wiki capabilities, the ExpertNet online consultation has relied mainly on the built-in discussion forum (100 wiki edits since 12/08 vs. 500+ discussion posts). The tool appears to be a good fit for this kind of process, and I’m not sure if any of the “crowdsourcing” platforms would have been a better choice. Success depends mainly on “soft factors” (such as good outreach, moderation, facilitation etc.), all of which seem to be lacking with regard to this online consultation.

2. To date, 44 users have registered including the convener team (however, 17 of these have not posted to the discussions nor made any edits). I find this number to be extremely low.

3. Even within the niche community of people interested in Open Government, the ExpertNet online consultation seems to be facing a classic outreach challenge that doesn’t seem to have been appropriately addressed. Almost two years into this whole thing, I find this underwhelming if not a bit worrying.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I agree with the issue of the number and that’s why I think the hardest part for engagements is building an audience. It takes time/hard work to build audience and engage them and grows over time (just like a new restaurant, hard part isn’t just the building or food, but getting people there and growing that over time).

But I’d also wonder how many lurkers are out there – there’s really no incentive to register if you want to just lurk. There are no compelling calls to action about joining/incentives to join/low asks (like “liking” something)

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

Roughly 25K “views” since Dec 1, 2010 according to their public stats (http://expertnet.wikispaces.com/space/stats/overview). At roughly 30 days since launch, that’s less than 1,000 views per day.

An average of about 200-250 unique visitors per day.

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

Correction: it appears that the member list does not show all participants. There are at least 80 more users who have made at least one edit or post.

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

Got a quick reply from Wikispaces: “They have their wiki setup so that you have to be logged in to edit but you don’t have to be a member of the wiki to edit. That’s why members is not the same as editors, in this case.”

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Thanks…was wondering

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.