GovLaunch: Gingrich looks to the Moon

Home Forums Technology GovLaunch: Gingrich looks to the Moon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Nextgov reported Thursday (1/26/2012) that presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, while in Florida, vowed to build a “moon base” in effect by the end of his presumptive second term as president. Not only would Gingrich create the moon base, he also noted the possibility of it becoming the 51st state. This comes after the curtain call of the space shuttle program with the final launch of the Atlantis.

Gingrich stated:

“I am sick of being told we have to be timid and I’m sick of being told we have to be limited to technologies that are 50 years old, I accept the charge that I am American and Americans are instinctively grandiose because we believe in a bigger future.”

His plan is likely to face scrutinity as the US faces extended budget cuts. While Gingrich and fellow Republicans blame Obama for the end of the shuttle program, the end date was set by Bush.

Is Gingrich unrealistic in his promise to have a solely American moon base by 2020, especially as collaboration with the Russian Federation on space programs grows? With budget cuts affecting the daily lives of Americans, should the focus be on space travel?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.