GovLaunch: Nude No More – TSA Ditches “Naked” Body Scanners

Home Forums Miscellaneous GovLaunch: Nude No More – TSA Ditches “Naked” Body Scanners

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michele R. Jacobs 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Alicia Mazzara
    Participant

If Arrested Development character Tobias Fünke were a real person, he would surely be ecstatic about the TSA’s new airline scanners. After public outcry in response to the body scanners that generate naked images of passengers, TSA is switching to more private scanning technology.

The software eliminates passenger-specific images. Instead, the machine uses a generic image to pinpoint any potential threats hiding under a passenger’s clothes that require further screening. If no potential threats are automatically detected, an “OK” appears on the screen and the passenger is cleared.

“By eliminating the image of an actual passenger and replacing it with a generic outline of a person, passengers are able to view the same outline that the TSA officer sees,” a TSA statement explains. “Further, a separate TSA officer will no longer be required to view the image in a remotely located viewing room.”

New TSA Software To Nix Invasive Body Scan Images

Michele R. Jacobs
    Participant

I’m not sure why, but now I feel like playing with paper dolls… 🙂 I fully understand the need for tight security, but the nudie scanners would have likely kept me from flying. This is much preferable and not nearly so humiliating to those who aren’t into showing off their goodies to complete strangers.

Kudos, TSA! Way to keep it human.

Tom Melancon
    Participant

I know they are doing their best with a complex situation, but the abrupt changes worry me. For instance, does this mean that the original scanning equipment that showed a nude image (and was very expensive) needed to be replaced completely, or was this equipment modified? I hope information like this is available, because I can’t be the only one wondering about it.

Alicia Mazzara
    Participant

My understanding from the articles I’ve read is that the scanners are the same, but they are installing new software on them that no longer shows the invasive images.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.