GovLaunch – Texting Helps Babies’ Health

Home Forums Technology GovLaunch – Texting Helps Babies’ Health

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lauren Modeen 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

This one is actually less of a govlaunch than it is a govanniversary. Last week was the one-year anniversary of a program called text4baby.

What is text4baby? Well it’s a service that sends free text messages to women who are pregnant or whose babies are less than a year old and gives them info and reminders to improve their health and the health of their babies.

In it’s first year the service picked up 135,000 numbers to text. That’s pretty awesome. Another cool thing about this is that it’s easy and also customizable. All you need to do is send a text message to the number 511411 with the word BABY or BEBE (for Spanish messages). After that they ask your due date and zip and giving age and area specific tips. Pretty awesome.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

I read this same article via Chris Dorobek. I think it’s a fantastic program. Some might wonder – dont mothers already know what to do in their pregnancy? Doesn’t mother nature kick in? Probably to some degree, but I am sure one day I will be calling other mothers non-stop to get good tips, so I in totally in favor of this program.

I subscribe to text4baby, and while there’s a lot of stuff I already know or have read since we found out we’re expecting, there are also some great tips that I might not have thought about (e.g. tell your dentist your pregnant if he recommends xrays). I think this is a great program for people who aren’t extreme health information consumers like me. I’ve also heard that the program has been attributed for increasing 20-week check-ups.

Sonya
    Participant

What a great idea! Especially to reach young/teen/at risk mothers.

Anybody old enough to remember Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon, where she didn’t know she was in labor, or how to feed the baby once it arrived? That’s not so far fetched.

As a mother of 2, I can vouch for the fact that new mothers don’t just intuitively know not to eat fish that might be contaminated with mercury, or not to change cat littler without using gloves & a nose/mouth mask, or even to quit smoking & drinking. There’s a lot to know, and today’s society doesn’t work like small multi-generational villages used to, where “woman’s knowledge” would be passed down simply by living so closely together.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.