GovLaunch: The White House taps into online petitions

Home Forums Technology GovLaunch: The White House taps into online petitions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Allison Primack 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

David Reinbold
    Participant

In a step to broaden interaction with citizens, the White House announced earlier this month its plan to implement a Web feature of the whitehouse.gov website that would enable users to launch an e-petition. Users can create a petition at this website, use social media to rally other users to join in the cause, and if enough signatures are collected, that particular petition is presented to policy experts at the White House.

Do you think this initiative will lead to changes in public policy? Could you see a similar measure being implemented in your agency?

Allison Primack
    Participant

This is an awesome idea! My only worry is that people may abuse the site to a point where its impact may be diminished. I am sure however that if citizens take it seriously then the policy experts will take it seriously as well.

I am interested in seeing what policy experts/analysts think about this. As an MPP student I would love to hear what you all think about the impact of this on your work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.