GovLaunch – UK Crime Maps for Street Level

Home Forums Acquisitions GovLaunch – UK Crime Maps for Street Level

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Joseph Porcelli 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

UK Police are going Gov 2.0 and making it easy for people to to figure out just how safe their street is… so far from the comments the maps aren’t making people feel much safer.

– Not really sure I wanted to know this! I thought my street was nice and quiet and now I found out there were two burglaries in December! – Simon

But regardless of how safe they make people feel it’s definitely a cool way to see what’s happening in your neighborhood. Also another awesome thing is that police.uk is having to step us their web efforts as so many people have been going to the site that some have experienced slow loading time (good to see its getting used).

Joseph Porcelli
    Participant

This data is helpful, but just providing data is not enough and results in reactions like “Not really sure I wanted to know this! I thought my street was nice and quiet and now I found out there were two burglaries in December! – Simon.”

The desired outcome is a critical mass of informed and empowered residents who are connected and communicate with each other and law enforcement and, who as a whole, work together to deter crime.

So in addition to getting data, residents need to know what they can do like lower shades, leave lights on at night and a radio on during the day, call 911 to report suspicious behavior, and to host a neighborhood watch meeting with local law enforcement etc.

If residents know they are not alone, AND that others neighbors are also aware, AND that other neighbors are taking actions to deter crime, AND they doing so in partnership with the police, THEN then fear is reduced and the neighborhood become less hospitable to crime.

Data + Suggested Action + Resident and Police doing action together = Less crime and fear.

The quote we are looking for is “Knowing what is going on, knowing what to do about it, and being connected to my neighbors and the police, empowers all of us to do something about crime and make us safer.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.