GovLaunch: Using Your Skin as a Touch Screen

Home Forums Miscellaneous GovLaunch: Using Your Skin as a Touch Screen

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

An article in GovTech introduced a device called “OmniTouch”, which is by currently being designed by researchers at Microsoft and Carnegie Mellon University. OmniTouch turns any surface into a touch screen, and allows users to perform several functions. The video below has a full description of the product and displays how it works:

What do you think of this newest technology? Is it useful, or just a fun gadget?

My hunch is that it’s only a matter of time before technology is more integrated with the human person’s body. With this particular device, I’m not sure I understand the usefulness…so seems more cool than practical. I am most impressed with the technology coming out these days that uses voice recognition – “touchless” technology.

Jim Zepp
    Participant

A more fully realized demonstration of how this technology integrated with advanced search and image recognition tools could function was demonstrated by MIT researchers using about $300 of existing products two years ago at the TED Conference. It is a fairly entertaining video that was popular at the time –http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html.

As with other human interface alternatives, these may not be appropriate for all users in all environments for every application, but may have utility for some. Ask anyone who has searched for a left-handed, wireless trackball and they will tell you that it may not be for everyone, but if it helps some individuals to perform their work more efficiently, then it deserves consideration.

Doniele Ayres
    Participant

I think this is a great prototype and I am looking forward to seeing this technology more fully developed!! What is interesting is the ability to have computing that is responsive to the user. I can see many useful applications for this type of technology.

Jay Johnson
    Participant

Reminds me of the computers in the film Minority Report.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.