GovLoop Challenge! Can We Name 1,000 Awesome Things About Gov’t?

Home Forums Miscellaneous GovLoop Challenge! Can We Name 1,000 Awesome Things About Gov’t?

This topic contains 68 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

I’m listening to Neil Pasricha, author of “The Book of Awesome,” at the Next Generation of Government Summit.

And I feel inspired to see if we as a GovLoop community can come up with 1,000 awesome things about government – could be reasons why we work in government, awesome things happening at your agency, good things that government has accomplished over time (not just in US but anywhere, anytime), cheers for our colleagues and co-workers who are doing awesome things, whatever’s awesome – big and small…
    Sky’s the limit!
    Are you up to the challenge?
    Let’s do it!

The Internet

Going to the moon

Interstate highway system

Ellen McCarthy

The Military – for all of the services they provide and give to our country

Ellen McCarthy

Nuclear Power

Scott Burns

Public Education

Technology standards that make so many of our products possible from NIST

International Trade Administrations successful effort to create a Safe Harbour agreement with the EU regarding data laws, so small companies can do business internationally at a lower cost.

Popular Baby Names on

Sid Burgess

Protection of the rights of millions of people.

Sid Burgess

A platform for unity

Terrence Hill

Free Smithsonian Museums

Dedicated NIH Doctors Conducting Research in Exotic, Deadly Diseases

Federal Buildings LIke the US Capitol and Monuments

Embassies as Safe Havens for Americans in Need

Americorps Volunteers Serving Those in Need

FDIC Insurance for Bank Accounts

Flood Insurance

Tax Refunds

Social Security Benefits

Coast Guard Rescues

FEMA Assistance

Secret Service Protection for the President

President Obama

First Lady Michelle Obama

National Parks and Forests

Protection of Endangered Species

I could go on, but I’ll let others add to the list

Michael Rupert

28. Police

29. Public Defenders

30. Homeless Shelters

31. City, County, Regional Parks

32. Aircraft Carriers are awesome

Nichole Henley

33. Despite the amount of interns (including myself) entering the government who are unclear about their role or how to manage their career, we persist. We endure. We succeed.

34. Our ability to unite to a larger mission across agencies, aside from our differences, despite the negative public opinions, in an effort to make our country better for us all.

Candace Riddle

35. The clandestine service – thats stuff is pretty AWESOME
    36. Awesome mentors/ managers who are willing to bridge the generational divide to get things done in government!

Gary Berg-Cross

37. National Institute of Standards and Technology

38. NIH and government health research

39 The CDC – helping to keep us safe and healthy

Sara Cope

37. Education grants, loans, and subsidies

Lisa Jahn

40. National Wild & Scenic Rivers to play on!

Henry Brown

41. Civil Service Employment system

42. Research and Development

43 Disaster support

Rachel Lunsford

44. Paved roads
    45. Bridges
    46. Dams
    47. Clean water supply
    48. 50 united states (thanks Abe, we were worried about the South for a while)
    49. GPS

Peter Sperry

50 –First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

51 — Second Amendment – Militia (United States), Sovereign state, Right to keep and bear arms.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

52 — Third Amendment – Protection from quartering of troops.
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

53 — Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

54 — Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.
    No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

55 — Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

56 — Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

57 — Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

58 — Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

59 — Tenth Amendment – Powers of States and people.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

60 — Fourteenth Amendment — All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Sterling Whitehead

The American flag

Kathleen Smith

All those who see it as their mission to protect our rights and freedoms at all costs including their own lives. This includes many branches, agencies and services throughout. Some we know about and some we don’t especially those who have the mundane jobs that are needed to protect our rights and freedoms rather than those who are consider James Bond-esque.

How about the Founding Fathers? There were some cool dudes with vision, passion and sacrifice!

Ramon Caban

The possibility of Statehood for Puerto Rico

Brandy Ingargiola

Developing polices and standards that keep the flying public safe

Warren Master

The worldwide community of public servants you get to interact and hang out with!!

Erin Swain

67- GSA – The Federal Government’s Business Manager

Ellen S. Bliss

The passion of feds for the work they do

Brad Blake

safe drinking water

70 – Bike paths (including the new one down Pennsylvania Avenue- quite an impressive ride!)

71-Security (including our security badges to get into any building)

72-The ability, as government workers, to attend a lot of Awesome conferences including the Gov 2.0 and the Next Gen Summit

73-So much individual freedom that we take it for granted!

Debra L Fryar

Interstate Highway system

Brad Blake

taking care of pretty much everything you touch from the time you leave a private home or business to the time you re-enter a private home or business (and a lot of the things within, too, like the infrastructure that supports power, water, internet, etc).

opportunity to be of service to the public

Rachel Lunsford

I think we’re duplicating a few at this point. that does mean we’re doubly awesome, right?

77. Air traffic controllers and planes *not* crashing into each other

Martha Garvey

The fact that libraries are so, so, so online.

Terri Jones

Making our communities a better place to live every day!

Brianna E. Azzara

Freedom to be innovative.

81 – The second annual Save Award –

Sterling Whitehead

Inspiring Team America – World Police

Dr. John Hudson

** For retired service members – the opportunity to continue serving our country

** promoting world peace and freedom

** connecting w/people like you!

Lori Hudson

The freedom to criticize our government without being imprisoned.

The fantastic way we feel when we hear our national anthem

Providing care and protection to our most vulnerable

Not giving up or throwing in the towel when times are tough

Meagan L. Prior

Federal Acquision Regulations
    Transparency in procurement
    Small business support
    Business Ethics

Gary Berg-Cross

I’ve lost track of the count as have other posters, but I think it safe to say we are around 100. Someone mentiond “libraries” meaning public libraries but I’ll add one of my specific favorites:

100 The Library of Congress (including its great tour)

101 The dinning room in the Capital

Roula Hickman

State Department for promoting the US policy overseas

Nicholas Charney

Dropping an f-bomb in an auditorium full of awesome young government leaders

…and nary a gasp was heard 🙂

Gary Berg-Cross

106 Government architecture

Tim Bonnemann

I’ve added the 2010 SAVE Award to our list of participation projects here:

Steve Ressler

Protecting national treasures – from national parks to buildings
    Dwight Ike – Look him up (hat tip Bill Eggers)
    Tackling the biggest problems facing our nation
    Rocket scientists
    Turning DC from a swamp into a cool city

Cynthia Burke

The National Library of Medicine (, part of the National Institues of Health ( Includes PubMed and MedlinePlus.

Alvitta Leffall

Hi. My name is Alvitta Leffall. I am not with a government agency as of yet, but I am still applying. I think that the government is GREAT because of the people. I have several friends that work for USAID and I am amazed with the quality of programs and policies that they develop and implement that address the needs of people around the world. Whether HIV/AIDS, Malaria of even colaborative efforts, the level of professionalism, knowledge and commitment is impressive.

Angela Holden

Daylight Savings Time

The sweet fountain at the WWII Memorial

Alternate Work Schedules (AWS days!)

– The FDR Memorial

– The New Deal

Christina Morrison

– The Department of Veterans Affairs – for continuing to give veterans like these opportunities to prove why they are champions.
    I also have to 2nd a number of the previous posts – especially national parks, public education and our military.

Laura Silverman

public libraries!!!

Steve Ressler

120. Im in Spain and my girlfriends mom boyfriend told me how he grew up on American cheese that we shipped to Spain after WWII.

121. Big fan of SBA and how america spends a lot of time and effort in fostering small business and entrepreneurship

Sheila McNeil

122. Fire Fighters!
    123. Police
    124. Help for the needy

Meredith Mengel

Improving our understanding of our home planet.

Being conscious of public opinion, but not not at the mercy of it.

Gary Berg-Cross

126 (or so) WPA support for artists, writers, poets etc. during the Great Depression

Jenyfer Johnson

Federal Parks and federally protected lands

Environmental Protection Agency and environmental regulations

Hazardous Material management programs, all of them in the different services

Closed-Loop Oil Recycling

Navy is testing Green Jet Fuel made from algae (it meets AF standards)

And on a personal note…the government has given me a job for 26+ years. When I was RIF’d, with 7 years in, during “right-sizing” (just before the first BRAC round), I was called by HR after 5 weeks and offered a job in the Environmental Office and they would train me (I was previously an Electronics Tech) at my old pay grade. That opened up a whole new career for me and I will always be grateful for that.

Marc Lerro

Vaccinations that have eliminated some diseases and limited the spread of others.

recession resistant

Steve Ressler

NASA Tweetups

Steve Ressler

Clean water
    Clean restaurants

Lauren Modeen

138. USPS Forever stamps

Steve Ressler

I do love those stamps

Carolyn McGill

more paid holidays than outside corporate world

Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Keeping the King of England out of your face

Janice Kullman

Thank goodness someone mentioned stamps and the incredibly efficient (it’s true) US Post Office. Letter from DC to LA in 3 days for under $.50? Common, pretty cool!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.