GovLoop Functionality

Home Forums Miscellaneous GovLoop Functionality

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adriel Hampton 8 years ago.

• Author

Amy Bell
    Participant

Do you have an idea to enhance the navigability of GovLoop? Is there a feature you want GovLoop to have? Discuss suggestions here!

I’ll start: As I browse discussions and find interesting comments written by various people, I am moved to click on their name, expecting GovLoop to drill down and tell me more about that person. Unfortunately, it seems to think I am only interested in finding out more about that person’s discussion activity. Ideally, I think this should direct to that user’s profile, from which I can check out their discussion activity.

I think this would increase GovLoop’s navigability and success as a creator of connections. As it is, in order to view someone I see posting in a discussion, I seem to have to go to the “Members” tab above, and search for their name. You know how twitter has those hash tags? That hyperconnects everything, and makes it super easy to wander a million miles away from where you started.

Anyone else find this a little counter-intuitive? Any other suggestions/feedback for improving the functionality of GovLoop?

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I agree with this one, as I’m always running into the same problem and have to continued to click through to get to profile.

Also, it would be great if there was functionality to friend request right from the members page.

Amy Bell
    Participant

So… I just figured out that I can click on the picture instead of the name, if I want to go directly to a profile of a person from their discussion post. In light of that, I now like that I can go either to their profile, or their list of discussion items all from one discussion item. I guess we can chalk that up to learning curve.

Still… I think because of twitter and wikipedia, when I see a name or a phrase as a link, I expect it to be the most basic information about the words in the link. When it isn’t and I follow it, I feel misled and frustrated. I think it would work better if the name and the picture led to that person’s profile, and there was a link somewhere near/in the discussion post that was something like: View All Discussion Activity.

Amy Bell
    Participant

I found this suggestion on Timothy S’s blog about the possibility of tagging people with attributes.

Amy Bell
    Participant

I second. All in favor? All opposed?

Henry Brown
    Participant

kinda good; the issue could be, as David Dejewski sort of brought to the table, the validity of the tags.

Been out of the web administration business for awhile now but, there might be a way to “automate” some of the tagging to at least get some level of “tagging” for users of this site.

Amy Bell
    Participant

I want to be able to title my entire blog. You know how you can change the title of your “My Page” by clicking on it? That would be nice, but really, just any way to change the title of “My Blog” to something.

Timothy Chaevz
    Participant

The other concern that (as I raised this same suggestion on milBook [https://www.kc.army.mil/wiki/Dictionary_of_Tags]) is the development or creation of some kind of standard tag dictionary/wiki… (I like the idea of a wiki becuase it could be maintained and updated by all.) For example… we might have an entry for “Engineer” with a generic definition and equivalent tags (i.e, Engr, Engineering, etc.)

I also proposed breaking that dictionary down into a set of categories like:

Professional
    . Skill Set
    . Organizational
    . Geographical
    Personal
    . Skill Set
    . Geographical
    . Hobbies/Inbterests
    Misc

and limiting the # of tags that could be applied from each category to, like, 5 or so.

So… in my case [IDEF, Engineering, USJFCOM, Suffolk, Process, Father, Woodworking, Reading, Williamsburg, Telecommute, Collaboration, SecondLife]

Thoughts?

Timothy Chaevz
    Participant

Anyone know why I have to add somone to my “friends” list in order to drop them a message? Not sure I like that idea.

Timothy Chaevz
    Participant

For those who cannot access milWiki… try, [https://www.govloop.com/opensocial/ningapps/show?appUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwikiapp.ning.com%2Fwiki%2Fwiki.xml%3Fning-app-status%3Dnetwork&owner=sressler] and select the “Dictionary of Tags” page. (There doesn’t seem to be a way to send a link directly to this Wiki page w/out going to the Table of Contents first. Hmmmm.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.