GovLoop Logo – Just Like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube?

Home Forums Miscellaneous GovLoop Logo – Just Like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube?

This topic contains 98 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 8 years ago.

• Author

UPDATE! DECEMBER 20: Y’all rock! What amazing crowd-sourced craftsmanship…special hat tip to Adam Arthur! Here are the three buttons you’ve created:

And what’s next? I think it’s: see if we can get these posted across the Web on appropriate sites. Amy Bell (a BIG contributor to the creation of the button) has started us thinking on the subject and Pam Broviak has shared her thoughts in this blog post.

——————————————–

ORIGINAL POST

Should the GovLoop logo be on government websites just like we see the mini-markings of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube everywhere?

I’m led to ask this question based on two sites where I spent some time this morning – the Navy’s Social Media Directory and the American Association for Budget and Program Analysis (AABPA).

Granted, the Navy’s target audience is the general public and AABPA seeks to share information with its members, who may be a more appropriate, specific group of people in terms of spreading the word about GovLoop. But is there a value to having the logo on government-to-government websites?

This question is particularly relevant as we seek to add new members through the AwesomeGov Fund between now and December 15 in order to raise money for charity.

What do you think?

And if you think it’s a good idea, let us know when you add our logo to your page!

One quick note: our goal obviously is to increase the number of people in and around government who join GovLoop…so in addition to the question above, it’d be interesting to know which websites you think would be most appropriate for placement of the logo to raise awareness about GovLoop.

Andy, I think the GovLoop logo should be added to any governmental web sites where they are using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. logos. It raises awareness and proves to be educational for anyone working for or with the government. Granted the target audience for GovLoop is never going to be as large as the target audience for social media platforms designed for the general public, but GovLoop is a great resource for those who need to know about it; and, certainly, more public employees, contractors, etc. need to be made aware of its existence, purpose, tools, membership, etc. It looks like GovLoop just needs to do a big educationl, commitment campaign to reach local, state, and federal webmasters!

Steve Lunceford
    Participant

Actually it’s a great idea, Andy, but to help seed you should probably create a “button-friendly” version of the logo and post it here on the site to make it easy for folks to grab…(should do that for main logos as well)

David Harrity
    Participant

I would investigate getting GovLoop added to widget sharing services like AddThis and ShareThis.

Hi there – per your suggestion, I reached out to GovLooper Adam Arthur, who created a couple buttons for our consideration. Here they are below:

Button – Clear

Button – Shadow

And here’s the version that’s on the AABPA website:

Which do you like best? Any changes?

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I like the first version.

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Like facebook used to be facebook, then FB, then just the F and everyone knew what it was. Is there a way to use the last button, with a plain GL on top of the govloop logo? The word Govloop would be smaller, and the GL would be the main logo. After some time, the GOVLOOP part would disappear, and GL would be the future trademark of Govloop. I like the top one as a future button, but right now I don’t think enough people know what GL stands for to get their attention.

Think John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, then just John Mellencamp.

Maggie Davies
    Participant

I agree. Got to get the Manual done before you can come up with a cheat sheet.

Per Amanda and Maggie’s comments, we created another version of the logo.

What do you think?

Christina Evans
    Participant

Like it!

Maggie Davies
    Participant

Lookin’ good. What does it look like small? Is it still readable?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Yep, still readable.

How about if it’s as small as on the Manor Labs web page?

http://manorlabs.org/

Thanks, Adam!

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Great Job! I like them all.

Heather Coleman
    Participant

Great job! Good suggestion to combine the two until people get familiar with what gl stands for.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I would stick with the gl version if you go that small.

Melissa Merrell
    Participant

I really like the arrow loop…what do you think it would look like if if was just “gl” with the arrow loops? [with the text “govloop” underneath for now maybe]

Amy Bell
    Participant

My suggestion as a designer would be to go with the rounded corner, familiar button profile, but only have the g. What that does psychologically is sort of claim that letter, in that font, in white on the green field. It promises simplicity and elegance, and is a bit more intriguing… it sort of says: Hey, I’m like that “f” for facebook, and that “t” for twitter.

Amy Bell
    Participant

In response to the earlier comment about the evolution of the facebook button, I would say that’s exactly the reason to avoid going through the evolution at govloop. The more complicated it is, the more it announces its fledgling status. In truth, “gl” is not any more explanatory than “g”, except that the single “g” will intuitively look and feel more like an established social media platform.

Basically, take advantage right from the outset of what facebook learned the hard way.

Oooh! And it could replace the complicated tiny browser tab icon above… a “g” would look good even that small.

Wow – thank you everyone for your excellent feedback. Hard to decide on just one based on the varied perspectives. Any suggestions for how to finalize this process? Any thoughts on a strategy for disseminating it once we settle on one?

Federal News Radio
    Participant

I totally agree. I think the third one works the best right now for the same reason Amanda wrote above. Down the road, I like #1. – Julie, Federal News Radio

Federal News Radio
    Participant

Very cool!

Amy Bell
    Participant

I think the analogy falls apart… the logo is marketing, which is basically very public product testing. Let’s say McDonald’s or Nike finds out, after years of coming up with slogans, that the shorter and pithier slogans are more memorable, signature, and profitable. Should I, as a new company, follow along in their exact wagon rut from beginning to end? Or should I perhaps learn from them, and create something simpler and more elegant right from the beginning?

Has anyone seen A River Runs Through It? The father homeschools the two boys, and the one who grows up to be the writer of the book upon which the movie is based recalls writing an essay for his father, who reads it, hands it back, and says, “Good. Now make it half as long.” He does so, and brings it back to his father, who says again, “Good. Now make it half as long.” You get the idea.

The graphic design version of this is that we tend to want to overexplain things visually. There’s a lot to GovLoop, but the best way to get people in to discover that, is through clean, simple graphic work. Own the “g”. Like facebook owns the “f”.

Amy Bell
    Participant

p.s. It’s obvious I didn’t have such an excellent teacher as the author of A River Runs Through It, or never heeded my Polonius (brevity the soul of wit).

We will look into adding the govloop logo to http://www.cfcnca.org. thanks for the resource!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I’m leaning towards Amy Bell’s assessment and Melissa’s…combined. I like the “g”, but with the arrows over and above. I’ll put that together and repost.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Andy, please see my comment above. 🙂

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Here they are. What do you think?

Amy Bell
    Participant

I think the “g” would look better if it were larger relative to the size of the button. I also think that enlarging the “g” would push the arrows towards the top and bottom more, eliminating the little bit of extra green space there. But, so far, by far, the best one. I see where you’re going with it… I still would like to see the g by itself to compare it to, but I see where you’re going. Oh, and love, love, love the “glossy” button effects. Very subtle, very professional!

Melissa Merrell
    Participant

Hi Adam – these options look great! What do you think about trying the arrows vertical around the “g”? Its deviates from the current logo but might look more streamlined and sharp to go with the longer vertical flow of the g. Now it has the visual affect of squishing the g a little.

Nice work!

Looks like we’re getting close to something…my favorite part of this process is knowing that the final product will have been totally community-driven. Really really awesome.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I’m liking the simple “g” on green background, very much. Anything additional is a bit cluttered, and doesn’t really add much. If people don’t know what it is, it seems to me that they will click it to find out, which is what you want. The arrows aren’t going to tell them much.

Amy Bell
    Participant

Agreed! <—- Winner of the Most Unnecessary Comment Award

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Exactly. I love this also.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Let me think about this. I’ll try all of your suggestions and see if it looks good. If a few do, I will post them. If we end up with a clear winner among them, I ‘ll post that one solo. Thanks for all of the great feedback and comments. 🙂

Amy Bell
    Participant

Thank you, Adam, for listening and responding in the spirit in which the feedback was intended, and for crafting so many iterations. The product is always so much better when there is an open and honest design critique process. I’m confident we’ll have a beautiful, classy button.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

🙂 No problem at all. I agree that it will be good with so many bright minds at work!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I have to say, this is the best one. Comments?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Maybe we should change our site favicon to match this, (up in the box where you type site addresses)?

Amy Bell
    Participant

Hear, hear!! It looks great.

One nit (of course I have to have a nit) would be that the drop shadow makes it look like the “g” is floating above the button. If you look closely at the “in” on the linkedin button, the shadow effects work to make it look as if it were embossed on the surface of the button. The “f” for facebook is flat, which also makes it read as on the surface of the button. I’m not advocating either, but right now there’s a bit of a mixed message… the wonderful highlights make it look as if there is a real button that is curving gently away, but the “g” reads like a razor-thin flat cut-out that hangs over the edge of it.

Oh, also? I’ve noticed with the past few iterations that the entire right side of the button appears to be cut off, or cropped, just 2-3 pixels worth? Can you see it? I assumed this was just a problem with the way it was grabbed to show us, but it appears consistently…

Don’t get me wrong. It’s looking great. And it looks like half a smiley! Anyone else notice this?

Amy Bell
    Participant

Definitely. And favicon! I knew that thing had a name… I couldn’t remember.

Amy Bell
    Participant

I debated a long time before I decided to write this: I almost want the tiniest bit more space around the g… just a tiny bit… …..okay, I promise. I’m done. Did I mention how awesome you are?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Like this?

Amy Bell
    Participant

Yup! It looks very good that size. Anyone in agreement? Opposition? I still notice the whole far right edge seems cut off, by 1, 2, or 3 pixels. Do you see that too? The curve is smooth around the perimeter until you reach the right side…

Anyway, besides that, I’m in love with it! Kudos to you. As much as I dislike animated emoticons, if I had access to a clapping one, I would bust it out right about now.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I’ve checked it…it’s most certainly not cut off, until I post it. For some reason, It chops off the right side. Anyway, I like it too. 🙂

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I think this is pretty awesome! Nice work, Adam.

Amy Bell
    Participant

We should chip in and get Adam a gift… I’ve never actually seen someone get a gift… he would be the gifted one.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Thank you, Adriel.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Aww, shucks. Thanks. I think you all need a pat on the back too. It was a knowledge product created by collaboration. Isn’t that real Gov 2.0!?!
    🙂

Salina Washington
    Participant

Very nice! This version of the logo has my vote.

Salina Washington
    Participant

I agree with Jay’s comments. However, another channel to consider for promoting awareness are government intranet portals. We have an area on our intranet homepage where we promote a variety of information, resources and events to our employees. I could see us promoting GovLoop as an educational resource and encouraging employees to participate.

Great insights on this, Amanda. I completely agree with the strategy/approach as you have described (and, of course, with the parallels to the incomparable and legendary John Mellencamp!).

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Hey, Andy. I fixed the code that was chopping off the right side of the logos. You should post this one at the top of your post instead.

Nice, Adam – can you do the same for the other one? Thanks! – Andy

Amy Bell
    Participant

Am I seeing things, or is there a similar issue happening to the bottom of the button as well, to a lesser degree? Keep in mind, there is a good chance I am seeing things… monitor resolution, near-sightedness…

Bottom and top both look like they could be a little shaved…but both the same, so could just be the design, eh?

You’ve got a sharp eye, Amy…thanks! And Adam’s turnaround is impressive, too!

Amy Bell
    Participant

Indeed.

Barry Everett
    Participant

Both are excellent, and can be unmistakably identified with GovLoop. Use both. 😉

Barry Everett is a member of

GovLoop – The Premier Government Networking venue!

Nice!! Like the idea of having it in a person’s email tag as well. Thanks, Barry.

Amy Bell
    Participant

Is anyone familiar with AddThis? There’s even a short little video on what the “Share” button does. GovDelivery just started offering a “Share” button for the bulletins its government clients post. Basically instead of having to populate their bulletin (or someone’s website) with numerous buttons to all the different network media available, it brings up a popup with which you can choose the media you want to share.

Can’t ya just see the lovely new button in with all those others?

Amy Bell
    Participant

Uh… Andy? Apparently all that’s needed is to fill out this form.

Easy peasy. Scary easy. It is a strange, new world.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

That’s the idea!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

These are the finals. I’ve fixed the chopping, but it still seems to occur at the smaller sizes. I have determined that this occurs because of the feathering that I made around the design- which seems to fade away when you go smaller. Also, I didn’t include the smallest size of the second logo, because it didn’t look right.

The smallest “g” logo is exactly the size you need for a favicon, so that’s it.
    Andy, if you need anything in a different format, let me know. 🙂

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Amy Bell
    Participant

<— fidgets excitedly… That looks great, Adriel.

First there was Prince, then there was “The Artist Formerly Known as Prince”, then there was “Prince”.

If you have to pick one, I would go with just the “G”. If someone needs to make the button smaller, for whatever purpose, the G is still visible, while the “govloop” would become too small to read. So it’s a more useful graphic.

And if you are trying to attract new people who don’t know what Gov Loop is to click on the link, having Gov Loop there doesn’t add anything – because they have no idea what it means.

Good work on the artwork.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Love it.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Andy,

I looked at the Share This form, and you need an ICO file to upload (16×16). I’ll have to email it to you, because it won’t upload in this forum.

I will send intructions for uploading into the GovLoop website, as well.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I read the instructions on that “AddThis” form, and you actually need an .ico file extention for the favicon. I have that here, plus here are the instructions to put it at the top of the GovLoop website:

Uploading The Favicon.ico File
    Connect to your server and upload the GovLoop_favicon.ico file to the GovLoop website. You must place it into the same directory as your home (index) page, and leave it loose, making sure not to put it in an images directory or other folder. The standard location is the “root” folder of your site, which is same directory as your home (index) page, not inside an images directory or other folder. If you put it there (and name it favicon.ico), most browsers will find it automatically.

Some browsers will look for a direct link in the HTML source code to your site’s favicon.ico file. You can help these browsers by adding this link in the head section of each page on which you want the Favicon.ico to appear.
    Here is the link code to include:
    Once you’ve added this code, upload all of your modified pages.

(Some people suggest that the following is actually more correct: You can use both if you want!)

Ari Herzog

Pardon my chiming in late but I don’t understand why you are emulating Govloop’s logo after Facebook’s. How does the letter “g” encapsulate what this site is about?

That’s not a logo… else, how come every corporate logo out there isn’t a breakdown of their initials?

Hi Ari – We have logo. That’s in the upper left of the website banner. The community has created a “button” here. I used the wrong word (logo) when I started the conversation…but we ultimately got to where we needed to go, thanks to amazing community input and expertise!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Sorry, Ari. We shouldn’t be referring to what we did here as a “logo”. It is a share “button” to include on other sites. The GovLoop logo, (which appears at the top left of the main page), is safe.

Anonymous

This is a great idea, and I can’t wait to add it to our site (whenever we are able to implement social media on our site).

Hannah

Tell me more about what you need, Chelsea…just as we built out some great art for this effort, we can provide the same for you…such as this version of the logo (also created by Adam, I might add):

In what format do you need them and how should we make them available? We have the beginnings of a media guide started…could crowd-source that, too!

Steve Lunceford
    Participant

I realize I’m late to this but I *despise* this. Well, despise may be too harsh a word, but don’t really think it should be in the mix. (Adam, please don’t take this as being rude, I’m just blunt sometimes – and it’s not a technical issue in terms of looks that turns me off)

I think there needs to be some consistency in look/feel for any variations. This version takes away both the “L” from Loop and the yellow/gold color cue from the main logo — stripping both seems too much.

If going with a version that’s not including full text of name, think you need either the graphic arrows/loop element (which gives you the entire color palette + visual representation of the “Loop” part of the brand), shown earlier in the thread, or *both* the G and golden L which keeps the colors and name representations intact.

Barb Chamberlain
    Participant

I’m interested in adding it to my own LinkedIn profile, not my institution’s page. My institution is not a member of GovLoop–I am as an individual–so it wouldn’t be appropriate on our site.

I actually DON’T think it belongs out there as part of the agency’s public face, unless the goal is to get a lot of citizens joining GovLoop to watch us talk. For me, that would dilute the value of a social network for public employees.

Gov-to-gov is different, and it does make sense on pages that operate within that context, but not an entire web site with a public face.

Individuals blogging about government might want it as well.

@BarbChamberlain
    @WSUSpokane

@BarbChamberlain

I just poked around on LinkedIn and couldn’t figure out a way to integrate the button or logo over there…doesn’t appear to include the ability to enter code on LinkedIn. Anyone know how to do this?

Amy Bell
    Participant

I’m a believer now, of what Barb speaks… there’s a reason I never had a hankering to join facebook… if govloop became facebook, I wouldn’t want to join it either.

Steve Lunceford
    Participant

Ari’s point, though, is valid (and what I was trying to get at here: https://www.govloop.com/forum/topics/govloop-logo-just-like?commentId=1154385%3AComment%3A749120)

The naked G loses too many of the brand elements to be a good button (you lose part of the name by dumping the L, you lose the arrows that visually represent the loop and you lose the gold color cues from the brand pallette). Simply adding the gold L to that button would remedy, or even adding the arrows around the g (as they provide visual representation of the loop and bring back the gold element). The naked G just doesn’t cut it for me. Perhaps if GL scales to Facebook prominence it can then take the “one initial” route – kinda like Madonna, Bono or Sting.

What do you think about the other button with both the GL and the small logo, Steve? Does that do it?

Steve Lunceford
    Participant

The other bug works because it has all of the key logo elements in place: color, graphical arrows and the name. However I think it will most likely be second seed once in use because of how small the elements will be to read when shrunk.

I think you need a version of the G with gold L and perhaps a version of the G (or GL) with the arrows as an option.

Was glancing over @ Twitter and just caught GovFresh avatar, the G&F together is what makes it work.

Amy Bell
    Participant

If I had to vote for two buttons in common use instead of one, I would vote for the plain “gl” (with the g in white and the l in gold) as the second button (with the plain “g” as my first choice, although that probably goes without saying for anyone following the disco 🙂 )

That’s where we started, see this button…but folks thought it wasn’t enough and needed the full logo.

I think if we just rounded the corners and gave it exact same feel as the “G” only, we’d be set. Already, people are starting to place it on websites.

Exhibit A (all the way at bottom!)…and the one we have now with logo wouldn’t work, eh?

Amy Bell
    Participant

I have to say that shadow effect on the one on Exhibit A is probably my least fave button rendition.

I agree, Andy, making a button just like the “g” but with the “gl” would finish that one off, for people who want a bit more. I think the button with the full name and the arrows is TOO much info.

If we have one: the “g”
    If we have two: the “g” and the “gl”
    If we have three: the “g” and the “gl” and the “gl or g with arrows”

I won’t vote for the one with the full name, as I think it’s a fire hazard in there.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

“gl” just like the g with a yellow “l” is nice. Not keen on the gloss. Lunceford is right, the “gf” govfresh logo is strong and simple.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Ok, what about this one?

That’s it, my friend!!! The only other version that we haven’t seen that people have requested is this one, only with the arrows. We have the “G” only with the arrows…but not the gl with arrows. After that, I’d say we should wrap on making buttons and start clothing websites….moving our conversation more to where they should be placed…and posting examples of people using ’em! 😉 This has been a fun ride on this project….a million thanks, everyone…especially to you, Adam!

Joshua joseph
    Participant

Nice! very clean

Steve Lunceford
    Participant

Beauty!

Thanks for pushing us there, Steve. Glad ya like it…now let’s fling it far and wide!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Andy, Like this?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I’ve messed with the arrows a bunch of different ways and have determined that we need to stay true to their original orientation- meaning that if I squish them to fit exactly over the ‘gl’, it doesn’t look like the GovLoop arrows. In fact, it looks terrible. To maintain their original orientation, the ‘gl’ must be this smaller size. So, what do you guys think?

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I like it better w/out the arrows, but the above is still pretty slick. Nice work, Adam!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I agree, Adriel. And…thank you, my friend. 🙂

Amy Bell
    Participant

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. On all three points.

I think GL without the arrows is it!

Really, really, really nice work, everyone.

Like Adriel, let’s start posting examples of where people are placing these buttons…and feel free to reach out to your network to get it in those places.

Charles Duggan
    Participant

Agree with Amanda suggestion and direction. I would like to add this suggestion, soften it by rounding the corners. Easier on the eyes…

Kristina K Summers
    Participant

I think that as more and more government agencies are turning to social media to market their services (I work for a state wildlife agency) then we should absolutely be able to use these sorts of buttons on our pages for our own employees. Why not offer the same product to our own people that we offer the public. I am the primary social media coordinator here (as well as our graphic designer) and we have all the SM logos on our web and print materials, I can’t imagine why we we wouldn’t put the button on our intraweb for internal use. I say send one our way!!They look great. Nice job.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.