Gov’t Cuts 159K Jobs in Sept – Was It You? Do You Fear for Your Job? Can We Help?

Home Forums Job Openings Gov’t Cuts 159K Jobs in Sept – Was It You? Do You Fear for Your Job? Can We Help?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Elliot Volkman 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

I was just reading this article from the AP, which indicates that government layoffs led job losses in September among all sectors:

Government job losses led the declines in September. A net total of 159,000 public-sector jobs were eliminated. Local governments cut 76,000 jobs last month, most of them teachers. That’s the largest cut by local governments in 28 years. States cut 7,000 jobs. The rest were census jobs.

The local government job losses reflect the toll the recession is taking on state and local government budgets. Falling home values are just beginning to push down local governments’ property tax revenues. Most state and local governments are required to balance their budgets, which means drops in revenue are forcing cuts in services.

Local officials say more cuts are coming. The National League of Cities projects that local governments will cut 480,000 jobs this year and next. More jobs will be lost among private companies that do business with cities.

This is very troubling to me…and I am sure it is to you as well.

Has this affected you, your family or your colleagues?
    Are you worried about impending cuts?
    How can we at GovLoop help you?

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

This is indeed troubling news. One of the safer lines of work is generally considered to be as a federal employee. I know your topic was geared more towards the federal employees, but I have many friends who were contractors in DC and sadly they all lost their jobs just a few weeks ago. I was amongst them for a while as well; however, I’m a strong believer that when one door closes, there are many other opportunities that will open to you. Thankfully we have great sites like govloop and govWin to assist providing job resources for people in government spaces.

Anita Veal
    Participant

I now work for state Gov’t, I would like to work as a professor at a college, how is the best way to do this? Who do I need to network with? Thanks!

Jennifer Smith
    Participant

I’m at an Oklahoma state agency that was affected by the Health Care and Student Aid legislation that passed in April. We used to be the agency that guaranteed loans between private lenders and the U.S. Dept. of Ed in the FFELP program. I still have a job for now, but am not 100% sure I’ll have one for long. We are getting reassuring messages from our leadership, but I think they are just as unsure as we are.

I enjoy working in government where I feel my skills and resourcefulness make an impact, but as the primary wage earner for my family, I’m not sure I can hang on with uncertainty for too much longer. I’ve already been looking for other options and feel like I’m in purgatory at this point and feel like I need to move out of state to pursue real opportunity.

Angela Sanchez
    Participant

I work for a state agency and we haven’t had lay offs, but we have been under a hiring freeze for months with no end in sight. Jobs that become vacant are not being filled. The employees that are left are left with an unrealistic workload that’s taking a toll. We’ve also had massive budget cuts. My division, Communications, was forced to make a 25 percent budget cut which is affecting our level of customer service.

Rick Young
    Participant

I work for a county government in Georgia. We’ve undergone job cuts for two years with no relief in sight. No filling open positions and no hiring. No salary increases at all and benefits are becoming more expensive. Departments are depending on new automated processes to help with the additional workload which means more work for the IT Department to support these new “labor saving” efforts, additional work that is never anticipated by the affected departments, so the IT workload increases even more.
    I am glad to have a job but burnout is taking a toll on all of the count workers, we can only “do more with less” for so long.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

What’s your background/degrees? What would you like to teach?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Exactly…it’s painful on morale

Anita Veal
    Participant

I have a BS in Business Mgt and a MS in Administrative Sciences. I would like to teach Business related subjects. Marketing, intro to Business etc. Maybe an introductory writing course.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

So there are different types of professors:
    -Tenure-track or tenured – usually need PhD – very few jobs and steadier

-Adjunct – teach a course here or there. Definitely would be qualified to teach classes above. Look at your local universities and online and see what’s available. Network. Usually paid about 3-5k to teach a course.

Anita Veal
    Participant

Thanks the info is much appreciated! I think the Adjunct route sounds good! I will check with my local Community Colleges and see what is available! In this uncertain economy and the State of NJ Gov’s all out war against public sector workers, I might be better off having a least a part time teaching job just in case. We are being constantly bombardered with layoff threats. This in no way to treat loyal educated public employees!

Scott M. Patton
    Participant

I lost my local govt job a year ago. Oddly, I seem to be happier than many of those who survived the first round of cuts. While the level of discord in politics in America seem to be at an all time high, government employees have taken an amazing hit from the public because public sector “hasn’t suffered enough” as a friend described to me. This resentment, coupled with the uncertainty of employment and increased demands, takes a huge toll on morale, which then impacts service quality.

I personally don’t think that government leaders have not done a good job of knowing how to manage bad times. Closed door meetings, reducing communication, poorly explaining how decisions will be made, learning of decisions from the newspaper, reaching decisions that are counter to stated priorities, etc. all lead to an anxiety-laden organization.

Anita Veal
    Participant

Have you been able to find work in another Gov’t job? Morale is very low for those who are left to carry on doing more with less. I think those of us who still have Gov’t jobs should be looking at supplementing our incomes now and looking for alternate ways of providing health care for ourselves and our families. I think the benefits are why we chose the Gov’t to work for. With an increasing threat of these being taken away and the new health care legislation we will probaly do quite well even if we find ourselves out of work. We need to invest more and do other things to protect ourselves. The Unions seem powerless to assist us, even though this is what we pay them for!

Scott M. Patton
    Participant

I could find another govt job but I frankly don’t see the point right now. I think the sector has another three years of cuts and those lower on the totem pole will be targets. So I don’t see permanancy. Beyond that, the culture of public organizations I’ve interviewed with is not healthy. At my last interview, I toured the building prior and saw no smiling faces. During the interview, I asked about strategy and was told that there was none; they were keeping heads low to avoid the ax and just trying to survive. And this was a high ranking official. This is not the type of leadership I want to work for.

Scott Thomsen
    Participant

My organization — a municipally owned electric utility — has gone through two years of difficult budget cuts, including the “abrogation” of staff (layoffs). My division, communications, took a 30 percent budget cut and lost five people while the workload of communicating with our customers about our situation increased. It’s been a challenging time and the calls for further reductions continue.

It’s especially disheartening to hear allegations of how much fat there is in our operation that needs to be cut. To keep costs down, we have been forced to put off needed maintenance that has hurt the reliability of our distribution system. A significant investment is needed, but it’s a double edged sword. No one likes to pay for things like that, then when the system breaks they want to know why it wasn’t taken care of sooner.

Other departments in the city have been hit hard as well. One had to lay off more than 100 workers.

Our current budget proposal would bring some needed stability for the next two years. Our City Council will be voting on it next month. I’m waiting to see what they do before I can be totally confident about the near future.

What GovLoop can do is continue to provide the networking opportunities many government workers will need as they face layoffs, furloughs and the stress of doing more and more with less and less. Even in a tight economy, jobs do become available. Unfortunately for organizations that are holding down pay and putting the squeeze on employees, the folks who leave are likely to be your best and brightest.

Ron Pringle
    Participant

Sitting on the board of the National Association of Government Webmasters, whose members are entirely local and state government web people, I’ve had a high level view of this trend over the last two years. Some local governments were affected as early as 2008, but many have really suffered in 2009 and this year. I really don’t see things improving for our members for a few years.

Both property and sales taxes have been significantly down in most regions of the country, which has a profound affect on city and county budgets. Add in to that reduced budgets at the state level, which often equates to less state money being passed down to the local government level, and it just gets worse.

The frustrating part is, even if the economy recovers today, at the local level, we’ll still be dealing with the affects for a few years.

It has definitely been tough for our members. I’ve seen a lot of early retirements and members just losing their jobs due to cuts. We’ve also been affected by hiring and wage freezes, reduced training budgets, out-of-state travel bans, etc. That’s one of the reasons NAGW offers free online training webinars to our membership.

I’ve also noticed a vastly increased workload for our members as departments with reduced budgets naturally turn to the web as a place to disseminate information and reach constituents. Of course, we’re all dealing with that increased workload without the benefit of additional staff or increased budgets. It’s nice to be in demand, but it has certainly been a lot more stressful for our members.

The nice thing in all of this is that NAGW was formed to help local and state webmasters in times like these. We’ve been relying heavily on sharing knowledge and resources amongst our membership via our members listserv, resource library and conference. This is just the sort of situation where we shine: helping each other out when we most need it.

Anita Veal
    Participant

I hear you! I am looking to get out myself. This is not a situation I would want to find myself in 5 years from now! They forget that we public workers are taxpayers as well! To top it off to add insult to injury we pay ourselves and still we are getting vilified? This was a respectful position to work for the Gov’t. The public attitude about Gov’t workers stink! We take low pay for the benefits and still that is not enough! We must look at our future and act accordingly today! I will not have my earning potential put at the mercy of the next elected offical who thinks he knows best, which is to put workers out of work while seceretly putting out RFP’s behind our backs!

Avi Dey
    Participant

Linking Gov Job cuts to New opportunities via PPP ?

Like to request communicaitons with you on possible ‘synergy’ and private sector job creation that may be an opportunity for those who may be effected by govie job cuts and seeking consulting or private sector jobs with non-profits, small tech biz or university in the DC-MD-VA area.

May I request communications with you on possible synergy on planned Saturday morning breakfast events for virtual teaming for social entrepreneurs and consultants which may be value to some of those who are no longer needed at govie jobs ?

My email: [email protected]

avi dey
    waldenthree.net

Eric Cavanaugh
    Participant

This summer my department in local govt was cut by 49%. I survived this RIF. Not so sure about next year. Talks are on about service consolidation. The public seems generally concerned about the decline of services (parks, library closings) but not enough to suggest that they pay for these with taxes. After two years of no merit or other increases to salaries, if they do anything short of an increase I will be a burden on the taxpayers via Homeless support, unemployment, or other SS benefits.

Linda Pranger
    Participant

Sad as it is, I am not surprised by the article, and it applies to state and local govt employees as well. Unfortunately, I have been in fear of losing my job for 1 1/2 years, and looks like it might happen this time. I now clench my teeth so hard I have no enamel left. I know that I am not alone, but am over 50 and the prospect of a similar job is extremely dim. Posting job notices is a big help, and maybe it could be expanded to include categories of employees, and/or state and local listings as well?

Shannon E. Cunniff
    Participant

And then there’s the plans formally announced last week to shrink DoD…..200 SES positions are slated for disappearing by 2012 is just the starting point. No word on how it will be done.

Timothy Chaevz
    Participant

On Feb 9th, General Ray Odierno, commander of US Joint Forces Command, said that 2300 workers in Virginia will lose their jobs as part of the Pentagon’s plan to trim bureacracy and cut costs. Contractors working for JFCOM will fare the worst in the cuts. About 80 percent of the contractors will be dismissed. Should prove to be an interesting year – target for the cuts is currently Sep 11… with final “disestablishment” by Mar 12.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.