Heat Refugee –

Home Forums Miscellaneous Heat Refugee –

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Flood 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Deb Green
    Participant

Almost 20 years ago, I lived through Hurricane Andrew. I was in high school at the time and remember how close our neighbors and community got because we had to get out of our houses to withstand the brutal August summer heat in Miami.

This last weekend, we were hit with the ‘derecho’ storm – I’m still without water/power/phone at my place and on our second hotel dragging bags and our two (really awesome and patient!) young kids. Our kitties stayed behind and are cool in the 70 degree basement. Thankfully all of the trees our neighborhood lost damaged power and phone lines, not property or people. And every morning, there’s another community that forms in the hotel, on Facebook, or on the random elevator ride between strangers to share stories about how the storm’s affected them.

So GovLoopers – Any other displaced heat refugees out there with interesting stories? Good pics to share?

Joe Flood
    Participant

Thank god for underground utilities is all I have to say. Lucky to have electricity in downtown DC! Seems like just about everyone I know in Arlington is without power. Anyway, here’s a picture I snapped during the height of the storm, when it looked like a monsoon was blowing outside.

Deb Green
    Participant

Nice pic! Love the colors.

Deb Green
    Participant

Here’s my fabulous downed power line and snapped pole – Don’t be jealous, 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.