Help a GovLoop Fellow: What’s in a name?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Help a GovLoop Fellow: What’s in a name?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

I have worked in various offices during my career so far, and while many of my tasks and jobs have been different, I have faced one similar challenge throughout my work-life.

Naming conventions … or lack thereof.

Here at GovLoop, we share a lot of documents and data, which is generally a good thing. We primarily use Google Docs so many people on the team can view the same information at the same time. We can edit each other’s work even if we’re not in the same office, city or state. And we can access our work without having to physically come to downtown D.C.

All this is great, but sometimes I have to admit it gets overwhelming. Even though I have set up a system of folders for myself, I still find it difficult to peruse all of the data before me.

Last week during our weekly conference call, I brought up the idea of creating a naming convention for GovLoop. And now I need some help!

What do you think? Do you have naming conventions at your organization? Is there a good set of best practices out there I can examine? Help a current GovLoop fellow!

Too many docs makes one confused Dot.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I’m hiring your personal photographer for my next posts! I don’t know why, but for some reason I’m highly entertained by the fact that I can see people editing documents while I’m looking at it. That’s really off topic, eh? Luckily I think we do pretty well with specific names yet, but I think one good thing to do would be to include the project name after the document to further specify. Therefore if I’m not working on that project and it seems similar in title to something I’m working on, I could just skip it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.