Help – looking for your government IT policies on participation in sofware beta programs

Home Forums Miscellaneous Help – looking for your government IT policies on participation in sofware beta programs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy Barsky 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Reine Kassulker
    Participant

At Hennepin County our information technology office gets frequent requests from the lines of business for permission to partcipate in software demo/beta programs offered by vendors. For several reasons, our IT department usually denies these requests. Our new CIO is a strong supporter of IT innovation and would like to see us take advantage of these offers. To that end, it would be good to know whether there are other government IT shops out there that have figured out how to do this effectively.

I would love to know more about your lessons learned or policies related to your participation in vendor beta programs… especially in information technology.

Thanks.

Sandy Barsky
    Participant

The policy at GSA was set and published in a document found at this link http://www.gsa.gov/graphics/staffoffices/socialmediapolicy.pdf

Having participated din the effort I can state that most of the decisions were driven from existing policy privacy and information policies.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Good question – I don’t have one but makes sense to have one.

I’d make it super simple and put something around it like:

-Hennepin County participates in 3-6 month beta programs

-We participate when 1) meets a clear business need 2) opportunity to drive costs down or improve performance on a current process/tech being used

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.