Hiring Homeboys: Good Call or Bad Call?

Home Forums Human Resources Hiring Homeboys: Good Call or Bad Call?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I know most people’s (including myself) initial answer to “would you hire an ex con or gang member?” would be a flat out NO.

But lets think about it for a second, why not? When we really get down to it everybody has screwed up whether it’s a crime or not and life is about second chances.

I’d love for people to read this article that talks about one guys success with hiring ex-cons: http://www.bnet.com/blog/smb/why-i-hire-former-convicts-and-gang-members/2422?promo=857&tag=nl.e857

So what do you think should government ever roll the dice in this area?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I wonder if there are special gov’t hiring programs for this. I’m guessing yes.

I know gov’t contracts out some items to contractors that hire severely disabled.

Henry Brown
    Participant

In the “old days“, when I had significant hiring responsibilities, had several opportunities to hire people who had screwed up in the past one way or another. Probably not fair, but since when is life fair, I usually held them to a higher standard for hiring and the ones that I did hire because of their background I probably kept a somewhat closer chain of control on them. I can truthfully say that everyone of these people whom I hired became successful members of the federal work force.

Because of the work environment I have not had the opportunity to hire anyone who was convicted of a felony and served longer than a year in jail. But some of the people have hired had been convicted of felonies but did not serve any significant time in jail, had spent time committed to a mental institution, have been convicted of numerous misdemeanor crimes, and a couple of them were expelled from colleges for disciplinary reasons.

Not once did I hire any of these people out of the goodness of my heart, nor to prove my worth to society, but only because I felt that the people whom I hired would provide the biggest bang for the buck

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Indeed.

Anthony Tormey
    Participant

I once met with an NGO in NYC that worked with ex gang members and had a very enlightening conversation with them (all ex gang members). Their backgrounds and competencies are not all that different from corporate america. As the article suggests, it’s not to far of a stretch to take someone who is selling drugs and turn them into a great sales person. Go higher up the gang leadership and you start finding individuals who manage multiple “businesses”. Think about the distibution chain? Many of the competencies are there, what good leadership can do is restructure the value system of the gang member to apply the same skills as productive members of society.

Tricia
    Participant

I’m happy that Government is at least offering training and education for prision inmates so that they can plan for a legit career. It would be interesting to hear stories about government offering these types of careers to ex-offenders (of course this depends upon what the offense was, and where the individual will be working).

Be sure to watch for my weekly blog next Monday, as last week when I sat down to write it, it was intended to follow up on my Get Out of Jail Green Ticket blog. The blog discusses the impact of incarceration for job seekers, their families, and for the government. All the more reason to step up, and offer them that second chance!

Michele Costanza
    Participant

Why should employers get a tax credit for hiring these individuals if they are qualified for the job?

Anita Veal
    Participant

Homeboys now come in all shapes sizes, educational backgrounds etc…. We now have white collar workers committing crimes as well! We need to look at an individuals qualifications first, then evaluate the other factors that go into hiring anyone. Remember, we do not put the fox in charge of the chicken coop and then say “hey where have all the chickens gone!” 🙂

Jasmina Hadzic
    Participant

Great article!!! I applaud individuals like John who are willing and able to give others a second chance at life.

People who genuinely want to turn their life around will show their best work regardless if they are an ex-convict, blue or white collar citizen. Therefore, I feel that ex-offenders should not be profiled when it comes to job opportunities whether it be the public, private, or government sector. From a wide spectrum of professional fields, how many individuals without a criminal record have proven to be dishonest and unethical? So who are we to judge? There are two sides to every story…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.