How are You Beating the Heat?

Home Forums Miscellaneous How are You Beating the Heat?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Ribeira 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Aetna is a proud partner of GovLoop.

------------------------------------------------------

It's hot out there. We've reached that point in the summer when for most of us, the heat is starting to affect us. For me, I know that the rising temperature and harsh humidity have seriously affected my desire and motivation to get out there and run. I've tried to find a few ways to beat the heat and remain in shape during the summer months. These include:

-Taking advantage of the sun going down later at night. The heat is much more tolerable when it's 8 o'clock at night. There is still light at this hour and I can enjoy the occasional breeze during my jog.

-Drinking lots of water during the work day. Staying hydrated during the summer months is crucial, especially when you exercise outside.

-Utilizing that pool! Sure, getting a tan is great, but swimming laps in a pool offers a great, cool, workout!

This got me thinking, how are other GovLoopers staying healthy during the summer months and blistering heat?

Need more tips on how to stay healthy year-round? Check out Aetna's IneliHealthresources! Be safe and healthy this summer!

----------------------------------------------------

Aetna is one of the nation’s leading diversified health care benefits companies, serving approximately 35.3 million people with information and resources to help them make better informed decisions about their health care. Aetna offers a broad range of traditional, voluntary and consumer-directed health insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life and disability plans, and medical management capabilities and health care management services for Medicaid plans. Check out Aetna on Twitter and Facebook.

Jeff Ribeira

I beat the heat by living in a basement apartment. Cool all day long! I also carry my nalgene bottle around with me just about everywhere.

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

I do my jogging at 6 a.m. It makes a world of difference.

Alicia Mazzara
    Participant

Last summer the fan in our refrigerator broke, and it was a disaster trying to keep produce fresh in the middle of the July heat. I started taking all our fruit, blending it, and freezing it into popsicles. Super easy and healthy way to stay cool.

Tricia
    Participant

In Central and Soutern Arizona - you hibernate if possible. Typically come out at night. Except for this past Tues. night when we had one of the craziest dust storms!

Jeff Ribeira

That is wild! How long did it take for the dust to pass through and eventually clear?

Tricia
    Participant

I’ve lived in AZ all my life and seen many dust storms, but this was a first - as it looked more like a bomb blast. They say it was a 100- to 150-mile-wide plume of dust more than 5,000 feet high, moving at 50 mph to 60 mph. The wind and dust continued for around 90 mins. in my area, and then a few drops of rain (not enough to clean things off 🙁

It cut power to 10,000 customers, grounded flights and left people cleaning up cars and pools caked with dirt and mud – literally brown water! In my area there were a few trees uprooted. Arizona dust storms haven't been this bad in years!

I work at the Az. Dept. of Environmental Quality, and one of our air testing stations kind in downtown Phoenix on 15th Avenue had an astronomical reading of 6,349 micrograms per cubic meter at 10 p.m. Tuesday – and the federal EPA standard is 150!

Debra L Fryar
    Participant

I beat the summer heat by living in Michigan!

As a Clevelander, I don't attempt to beat the heat, I embrace it! The absence of sunlight and warmth from October - April is always looming...

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.