How Are You Preparing for a Presidential Transition?

Home Forums Leadership and Management How Are You Preparing for a Presidential Transition?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

On next Wednesday, October 24, I am looking forward to participating in ASTD’s Government Workforce: Learning Innovations conference at the Newseum in Washington, DC. One of the big reasons for my enthusiasm is that they have dedicated a track to the presidential transition, and I am curious to learn how agencies are preparing for it.

If our incumbent President remains in office, there are a solid number of appointees from his first term that will move on to new opportunities. If we elect a new Commander in Chief, that number obviously skyrockets. It’s also likely that, regardless of the election outcome, there are a number of government folks who just don’t want to stick around for the changes that come with a shifting Administration, especially if there is a change in parties.

A couple of the topics that we’ll cover at the event next week include:

• How do agencies educate staff about working through a transition?
    • Is it a one-size-fits-all approach or do we need to provide differing levels of education based on a person’s government tenure?
    • How can agencies help each other to share resources and training?

In light of this being top of mind for a lot of us, I’d like to pose a few questions to you:

• How is your agency preparing for the transition?
    • How would you like them to help you get through it?
    • What has worked in the past?

If you’re a learning professional, I’d invite you to attend the event. You can learn more here or click the register button to the right.

For additional blogs and great discussions about the transition, check out:

Next Four Years: Managing a Balancing Act

Transition is An Opportunity – Be Ready

Election and Transition

Also, check out Dwight Ink and Tom Fox discussing the transition with Chris Dorobek on the DorobekINSIDER:

Are you ready for the TRANSITION?

Get Past the Partisan Talk — How Career Feds Should Be Prepping for Transition

Memos to National Leaders: Transition Prep, Political Appointees Confirmations and More

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.