How can I increase survey response rate?

Home Forums Leadership and Management How can I increase survey response rate?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

John Bourdon
    Participant

About two weeks ago I administered a survey to a federal agency as part of my dissertation research study with the UoP. The research is a correlational study between emotional intelligence and diversity receptiveness in a federal government agency. The survey was sent to about 190 people at the HQ level but the response rate has not been great.

I need to increase the response rate asap because in about two weeks I will have to take the survey offline.

Any ideas???

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I agree with Ed. You need to give people incentives to answer the survey. What do they get out of it? Do they care about you and want to help you out b/c they know you? Are they getting data that can help them do their job better? Is there a charity or financial reward?

John Bourdon
    Participant

Thank you and Ed for your replies.

I have had many restrictions placed upon me for conducting the survey at the participating agency. The first one was that employees of the participating agency could not use gov’t issued equipment or time to conduct the survey. While I could, from my personal email, send potential participants an email inviting people to take the survey the potential participants had to do so from their homes. I did ask about trying to tie into a charitable event such as the on going CFC campaign but that request was denied.

I have managed to meet and greet many people during the last few weeks and have asked many to take my survey. I have sent weekly follow-up emails which has increased participation. For many, however, it would have been a whole lot easier to take the survey at work. Once people get to their home after work there are too many important distractions to attend to.

I spoke to my academic mentor about the participation rate and he has informed me that although it is a bit on the low scale, a 25% participation rate would be considered normal. It would have been great to strike the 50% rate but I did manage to surpass the 25% rate. Without the restrictions I think I would have faired very close to the 50%.

Anyway, now it is time to analyze the data and see what the resuts dictate.

Again, thank you for the response.

Cheers!

John

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.