How can I turn an existing top-down “spider” conference into a leaderless, “starfish” conference

Home Forums Miscellaneous How can I turn an existing top-down “spider” conference into a leaderless, “starfish” conference

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Brian Mannix
    Participant

This is my second year organizing a Pay It Forward Conference. This year we should be having between 50-100 middle and high schools all over Long Island participating http://www.payitforwardconference.ning.com I am afraid that as this conference grows, I will not be able to manage it, nor do I want to manage it because I truly believe that the students and teachers involved are the best ones able to make this thing happen on a national level (ala the way AA grew as described in “The Starfish and the Spider.”

Help. How can I effectively mold the conference this year (May 19th)-to leave behind its top-down shell and move toward a more collaborative approach?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I would look into incorporating some aspects of the “barcamp” form of conferences. Google it and it has nothing to do with alcohol 🙂 I’d also look into incorporating some collaborative approaches such as using Google Moderator to take questions, suggestion sessions, etc. Plus, encourage the students and teachers to videotape each other with Flip or cheap cameras and upload/edit for YouTube, etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.