How can we train new talent without impacting the billet?

Home Forums Human Resources How can we train new talent without impacting the billet?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Powell 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

David Paschane
    Participant

Someone has to know this. I am looking for the regulation or rules that affect my ability to bring on new talent as interns or another designation without having them fill our existing position billet. The advantage to them is we have a depth of cross-functional training/experience to offer them, and we can afford to hire them. However, our billet (slots) are filled with folks who are near retirement and not ready to go. This is very important to us becasue we want to facilitate the transfer of knowledge while both groups are available. I can’t be the only one facing this problem?

Ed Powell
    Participant

Are you a fed? The days of federal regulatory agencies regulating hiring by slot or billets is long gone. (Many wish it was still around because it was SOOO EASY to manipulate!) The feds have replaced it with FTEs, which equate to 2080 straight time hours for every FTE alocated to an agency. The agencies are technically free to spend this “hour currency” the way they choose. For example, 40 temporary people working just over the 3 months of summer would be the same as 10 working year round. As you can see, very hard to manipulate, even if you have the money.

If you work in a state agency, look for categories of employees that don’t count against billets, like temps, experts and consultants, faculty appointments, etc. Otherwise, look for process gaps. For example, when does your regulating body count occupied billets to ensure you comply. If a person works for a whole quarter or year and is off the hiring roles on that billet counting day, does that person count?

Good luck! Poor knowledge transfer will be the death of us all, especially in state and local where there are so few backups and so many long-timers retiring!

David Paschane
    Participant

Ed,

Thank you. Clearly, I don’t know much on this topic. I am a Fed, with the VA IT. So, I need to first stop looking at this org chart as slots, rather, see the whole as FTE hours (2080 each). Do you know where I can get the regulation that tells me what I can and can’t do with those hours. I want to put together a training program for new folks to do a year or two with us learning IT functions, mostly disabled veterans. The problem is that my HR office tells me I have to dedicate “slots” to those individuals. I don’t have too many slots, but I have folks waiting to retire. What do you think is the best approach to this? Thank you!

Ed Powell
    Participant

It is tracked via an OMB process and reported by your payroll system (SF-113G) as gross straight-time hour (overtime and holiday time doesn’t count but sick and annual do.)http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/a11_current_year/s85.pdf
    Mmmm. Disabled veterans? Are they still in the military, pending disability retirement? If so, they probably won’t count under the 113 reporting system. http://www.opm.gov/feddata/113opman.pdf
    Another option — this is not a stretch, read the regs — could be to hire them as consultants with a daily per-diem rate set by the Secretary of VA (NTE the GS-15, Step 10 rate). http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=1380dbae53fae2f037cf471be0bd8f32&rgn=div5&view=text&node=5:1.0.1.2.34&idno=5#5:1.0.1.2.34.0.10.4
    If all else fails, write to the OPM Director and request an exception (You would GET IT!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.