How do you deal with being cold at work?

Home Forums Human Resources How do you deal with being cold at work?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Shannon Kennedy 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

If you are like me, you are always looking for new ideas about staying warm at work.

Rain or shine, winter or summer, I always find that I am freezing whenever I step inside my place of employment!

Having been a member of the working world since the age of 16, I have had a variety of jobs in different buildings in and around the D.C. metro area.

And I have never been warm at work. Not once.

As a new graduate fellow at GovLoop, I was hoping my circumstances would be different this time. Alas, it was not to be.

Although I have my scarf and gloves, and despite the plethora of hot tea and coffee options, I am still cold.

So I implore you, GovLoop community. Help me out!

Are you cold in your office? How do you stay warm?

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Same here! I’m always freezing! Here are some tricks I’ve used and seen:

1. Layers are your friend

2. Electric Throw Blankets come in handy

3. If You have your own workspace, invest in a space heater

4. Always keep your feet warm

5. Drink warm drinks–coffee, tea

Ali
    Participant

I bought myself a space heater.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

We can probably turn up the heat at the Gl offices…

Jeff S
    Participant

Complete opposite in my office. Currently have the radiators on low three fans going and the window open it finally cooled down below 76.

Ah! Sometimes I wish I had this problem …. seems like the grass is always greener!

Allison Primack
    Participant

I posted this question on GovLoop’s Facebook and got the following responses:

Elliot Samuel Volkman I use the power block to my laptop as a foot warmer.

Christopher Huerta Personal heaters under the desk. It’s the only way.

Cheryl Mosco Our agency outlawed every means, they like to keep us cold and starving:(

Tracey Harriot
    Participant

Snuggie. Only way to go. This is assuming, of course, that your agency/supervisor/etc has a decent sense of humour. (And that you aren’t walking around the office or into meetings wearing it!)

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Before being a Graduate Fellow at GovLoop I was at a temperature controlled laboratory. By temperature controlled, I mean it was very cold. Then they turned the CVD furnaces on. It was suddenly really hot. Needless to say, I’m pretty comfortable with the temperature here comparatively! Also I like having a few layers and I think my desk is right near the heater. By the way Dorothy, when I walked past you getting ready for that photo I was very confused!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.