How do you get employees to market your agency to themselves and the world?

Home Forums Leadership and Management How do you get employees to market your agency to themselves and the world?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Craig Newmark 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Kathy Nelson
    Participant

We are looking for best practises on how companies or agencies inspire and provide the right resources for their staff to not only learn about the agency and what it offers, but also to make them into the agency’s best sales force–vision, knowledge, salesmanship. What company have you worked for that you bought into most? Why? What tools did the agency use to get the information and inspiration in to you so you couldn’t wait to “tell the world” who you were?

Craig Newmark
    Participant

I dunno, but if I can help, please lemme know. Thanks!

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Before I answer, let me clarify what you’re asking. Are you looking for company best practices that empower staff to market the firm?

Kathy Nelson
    Participant

I’m looking for ways employees can learn about their agency (in this case government) and then be motivated to share that information with people. 1) to make employees knowledgeable about their agency and 2) incourage them to “sell” the government services to the county they serve. We have an intranet system and a corporate university, but would like new ideas on how to cross train the various agencies to understand the whole picture and then share it.

Tricia
    Participant

One example of one of the things I have done at my agency is that last year I tried to encorporate the importance of volunteering in the community, the importance of our agency to protecting public health and how each of us in involved, recognizing employees for the value they add as an individual, and to show employees how the agency leads by example – since we are an environmental agency, promote what green things we’ve done (ex. – tours of our green building, and how we set the bar, promote a timeline of the agencies major accomplishments and legislation. I bundled this all up during Public Service Recognition week. I wanted to get the public and press involved, but it didn’t work out with our communications department.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

From the perspective of learning about their agency, I can’t help too much. However, from the sharing aspect I have a few suggestions. (a) Establish an agency-wide social media policy similar to IBM’s, which is considered the gold standard. Basically, it removes the idea of “approved” content, and let’s everyone use social media however they want, even if they put down the agency. This shows authenticity, which virtually no agency has in “approved” content. (Does anyone really believe all the good things coming from press releases?). (b) Encourage the use of social media tools such as blogs and Twitter. (c) Provide training on using these tools.

These 3 steps will go a long way toward making employees want to share the wonderful things their agency is doing, both the good and bad. (And believe me, sharing the bad isn’t a bad thing).

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Kathy Nelson
    Participant

Thanks. We’re in the middle of writing social media policy, so I’ll go take a look.

Kathy Nelson
    Participant

Thank you. Have you ever used jeopardy or corporate games? I was wondering if a fun cross cultural knowledge bowl or some on-line training program, game based, might be fun for individuals. Has anyone tried it? An intranet based program–we’re spread out all over. Just wondered.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.