How do you report activities up through your org.?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service How do you report activities up through your org.?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Richardson 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Dave Hebert
    Participant

(asked this on the Web Managers Forum as well) Here at the USGS, we have long struggled with finding really useful mechanisms and procedures for reporting activities and highlights from the field all the way up to HQ and beyond.

As one of my colleagues put it, we need a single river of reporting information that all can drink from as needed. Have any of you had success creating that river, both in terms of process and tools?

Keep in mind that we have almost 9,000 employees in about 400 locations around the country, and that most of them are conducting scientific research.

Thanks in advance for any insight. And Merry Christmas!

Steve Richardson
    Participant

Dave, I would start with the purpose of reporting, which provides context that helps everyone sort and present whatever information they have available. At DOL, I help prepare quarterly reviews for our component agencies that provide updates on key performance measures and milestones. This is now a federal requirement, so I’m sure Interior has a corresponding framework. Our reviews focus on progress in reaching targets identified in agencies’ annual operating plans, which display aggregate data and targets for measures that apply to each region. Milestones are generally initiatives that may require development in the national office and subsequent pilots or rollout to the regions.

Jeff Brooke
    Participant

Dave – I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ve heard this complaint from many large agencies. It seems that the starting point needs to be finding where the reporting requirements are coming from. To Steve’s point, I suspect many are coming through what ever office deals with plan execution. But I suspect other reporting requirements emerge from other offices.

While this isn’t the stuff most communication offices get involved in, I think you are on the right track to explore it. After all, employees’ ability to see performance alignment is one of the most important aspect of effective internal communication.

Jeff

Dave Hebert
    Participant

Thanks, Steve and Jeff. I am hoping to convene a group of folks soon to determine what those overarching needs are. I know there are several being served at this point, at various levels; we in communications here are interested in keeping the people above us at the Department level happy and in being able to highlight work going on around the USGS. I would like to believe that there is a larger strategic purpose being served, but at this point, I don’t think that’s true. We’d be happy to just have a grasp of what needs highlighting and where there are fires needing to be extinguished.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.