How Do You Unplug?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service How Do You Unplug?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I just finished reading a great Fast Company article about Baratunde Thurston (former Digital Director of the Onion)’s experiment where he left the Internet for 25 days.

In the article, he states that he was feeling stressed by always being on as he was constantly checking email, sending and responding to Tweets and Facebook posts and generally had a level of anxiety from being on. It’s a great read on his “detox” and what he learned

The best part of the article was a sidebar when they asked successful leaders

“How do you unplug and give yourself a break from the wired world?”

Tips included:

-We have a “no email” rules every weekday after 7:30pm and over the weekend (CEO, Heinken)

-I never take my iPhone to meetings – Ivanka Trump

-Unplug one day a week, Friday night to Saturday night – Founder, Webby awards

-Set “Digital Times” when on vacation – just 1 hour at morning or evening and then completely remove the other times

How do you unplug? What are your personal rules?

Your house rules? Your office/division rules?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple of my personal tips:

-Leave phone in the care – If I’m out running errands on a Saturday/Sunday, I’ll bring phone with me but leave in glove compartment during errands. So I’m not distracted eating and can be aware

-My wife and I have a rule where when one of us is driving that the passenger person doesn’t play on the phone the whole time (it’s easy to end up doing this) – so we are just conscious on it and call each other (is it actually important?)

I’m going to “fast” Facebook, emails, and texts for the majority of July. It’s time to celebrate thirty years of marriage! 🙂

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Like it – the modern “fast”

Yes, it may be important for some. I can only speak to my own experience. If I’m driving while my husband is the passenger (which is rare), I would like to spend that time in conversation with him rather than him playing on his phone. I don’t have that much time with my husband as I work full time, volunteer, and watch our grandkid.

Congratulations Kari! Let us know how the “fasting” went. I’d be interested to hear your experience. Did it start out hard and then became easier? and when you felt anxious about it the most.

There was an interesting study conducted at auniversity that showed that college students that went cold turkey from electronics for 30 days had high levels of anxiety at first but overall did better in school and in their relationships. Not surprising to hear that their performances improved when they were paying attention to them instead of being distracted by Fb and Tw during class.

Good luck to you – and have a great July with your wonderful family!!

Michael J. Kelleher
    Participant

Work stays at work. Which is hard for my wife because she works from home. She tries to keep it to business hours, but with international clients, she gets phone calls at all times.

Adam Arthur
    Participant

I have “unplugged” for over a month now and no one seemed to notice. I’m trying to justify all of the social media updates and news sharing that I have done over the years and I really can’t. Unless I’m interested in someone elses post, (and feel compelled to comment), or if I really feel the need to share something and collaborate, I just don’t see the point anymore.

What’s your feelings on this?

Michael J. Kelleher
    Participant

I ironically got a smart phone to stay in touch with others postings, but I post now with it because of the ease. Being at work half the day, watching my son on weekends, and just an all out disdain for sharing each and every part of my life with total strangers got very old for me years ago. Now I’m at the age of paranoia of posting too much info or the wrong info. Which is a good reason to avoid social sites. I can count on my hands the amount of times I twittered (or tweeted, I don’t know), but I need facebook to find childhood friends since we have nearly all moved out of state. My 20th high school reunion would’ve never happened if it wasn’t for facebook.

Michael LaRocca
    Participant

I used to spend at least an hour a day bicycling, but I now I spend it hiking. No SmartPhone either because that’d be cheating. 🙂

How do you unplug? Great question. This question is a work and life balance question. The following actions work for me so I suggest the following:
    1) put your work Iphone and/or laptop away once your tour of duties is complete or on your off-duty days,
    2) don’t carry your IPhone or BlackBerry with you when you are at your work location or at your work desk,
    3) do not accept more assignments if you have already known that you have been overwhelming with your paid and assigned duties and projects. Be candid with your supervisor about it. If you accept, it becomes your responsibilities to deliver. Once you are considered a deliverer, more will be put on you and you are expected to perform. You make your boss look good with his boss, and your boss will make you look bad and fail you if you later on reject to accept new or existing assignments or projects.
    4) you can provide your supervisor a phone number where you can be reached or an email where you can be reached on off-duty days or after your tour-of-duty schedule,
    5) do whatever makes you happy
    6) find good mentors or friends who can provide you good career advice and support
    7) have the courage to say, “I cannot take more” from the beginning. If you are a deliverer, a bad boss will ignore your concerns but you must stay on course.
    8) make sure you read your job description carefully so you know what your duties are.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.