How do you use Facebook at work?

Home Forums Miscellaneous How do you use Facebook at work?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

If your agency doesn’t block Facebook, how do you generally access it at work? During your morning coffee? Lunch? Later in the day? Or whenever you need a mental break?

Terrence Hill
    Participant

My agency blocks Facebook, but I don’t use it for work at all. Sometimes I will watch a live presentation from the White House on Facebook and enjoy the running commentary from other viewers. I also follow some professional organizations, but I find that Twitter is better for keeping up on what is going there. Facebook is only for personal friends. Professional associations are on LinkedIn or GovLoop.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

My old office blocked it, many federal agencies do. A lot of the optional games and such have executable code that trips too many flags on the security systems. We can only access it with our cell phones- not the same experience.

Allison Primack
    Participant

I agree – the mobile apps for Facebook are too slow and irritating for me. Do you ever use Facebook pages and/or groups, or just friend’s profile pages?

Julie Chase
    Participant

We now have Facebook and You Tube during the Christmas Holidays the USMC Commander posted a video on You Tube (which had been blocked up until that time). Suddenly our installation had a FB page and once you got on to that you could get access to FB. NMCI, along with our G6 internet security gurus do not like Facebook, Twitter or You Tube. We “are not” supposed to be logging on it during the workday, this includes breaks and lunch. REMEMBER, “it’s not your computer”, even during lunch, it belongs to Uncle Sam. Facebook is not really utilized like I read about here on GovLoop. By the way, Gov Loop, “YOU’RE BLOCKED”. It’s funny though, the computers run real slow during lunch time. Go figure. I will tell you that FB was a big help during Hurricane Irene. We were kept up to date with the installation closings and/or early releases due to pending storm. FB was also a big help during the snow storms this past winter. I have been trying to tell all the “shiny, happy people” in GovLoop who work for Uncle Sam, that not everyone is Facebooking, Twittering and You Tubing. We do not have wireless anything, period. NONE, NADA. Someone in my office was so bold, she asked IT security for the MCO stating why we couldn’t have wireless. The answer, “Oh, I can’t tell you, it’s classified.” And there you have it folks. Type that on your gov furnished wireless IPAD, cell phone, blackberry and read it. lol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.