How do you work with your inbox?

Home Forums Program and Project Management How do you work with your inbox?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Josh Folk 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Deb Green
    Participant

Email, a substitute for meetings!

Email, a substitute for talking on the phone!

Email, what sucks almost all my time away in drips and drabs throughout the day.

I want to use email, not feel it uses me all day long.

What are some strategies you use to maintain productivity and progress on tasks while keeping abreast of those “****HOT****” rerquests/data calls that come in?

Josh Folk
    Participant

Great discussion topic. Here’s my system in three easy steps:

1. If an email takes less than 1 minute to respond I just do it

2. If an email takes more than 1 minute to respond then I drop it in one of four folders: today, tomorrow, next week, or next month. I will then respond accordingly.

3. If an email pertains to a specific project that I’ve made time for in my calendar, I will drop it in a folder with the name of the project and respond at the appropriate time.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I’m with Josh – use simple time-management skills like those in David Allen’s book Getting Things Done. I try to be stress-free when it comes to e-mails by responding immediately (50%), deleting (30%), or filing (20%) e-mails. I am one of the few who have an empty in-box. I also use other means of communications (IM, Phone, networks, text) to avoid overloading others’ in-boxes. Believe it or not, I have some co-workers whose in-boxes have reached the maximum capacity. In-boxes need to be cleaned and organized as much as one’s home or office.

Great topic – and we have a few related conversations that can help:

https://www.govloop.com/forum/topic/listForTag?tag=email

In fact, we have an Email Guide waiting in the wings… πŸ™‚

Deb Green
    Participant

I thought Josh’s recommendations sounded pretty GTD-ish.

I love hitting delete. But honestly I really am scared to trash emails because I think “I may need this to C my A”…..

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

GTD! Great book. It’s really changed the way I manage my time and tasks.

Deb Green
    Participant

Terry, you’ve inspired me. I’m deleting junk.

Between you and Ashley, now I have to go home and tell my Hubby that another set of folks think I need to read GTD. Sheesh people, how am I always supposed to be right at home if you keep this up? πŸ˜€

Luke J. Kluchko
    Participant

1. For starters, don’t keep your Outlook box open. Incoming message “beeps” will distract your work

2. Decline/resist being issued a Blackberry. I have a convenient way to check my mail from home (when I want to). You can live without one. As a matter of fact, if you don’t use a Blackberry you may discover what life is all about.

3. Make sure your voice mailbox is up and running. If people can leave a voice mail on your cell or office phone, they seem less inclined to have to send you an email.

4. Provide positive reinforcement when people call you. Sound excited. People will feel more inclined to call you in the future.

Julie Chase
    Participant

I don’t like my phone, and don’t answer it, if I see a number I recognize, they can leave me a message. Email….I’ll get back to you faster. If I need something from you or you need something from me, email me. My customers do not have my cell number, geez louise….I’m allowed some time to myself.

IM, yeah right. Not allowed, Security reasons.

I’m not in a supervisory position….thank goodness….so I don’t really have to answer to those above me or below me. The laterals work best together.

I turn off the sound for emails, but I can see it in the right hand corner and decide whether or not I want to answer it or keep doing what was doing.

Email, for me is the fastest way (we are allowed) to communicate, customers, vendors, contracting, etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.