How much time do you spend on GovLoop every day?

Home Forums Miscellaneous How much time do you spend on GovLoop every day?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Ari Herzog

What do you do when you visit? Read blog and forum articles? Peruse pictures and videos? Look for a job? Post something to a group?

Reason I ask is it seems like the crux of blog articles are echoing stuff I see here every week, and the crux of discussion forum questions are aimed around the federal sector.

Makes me wonder what % of active GovLoop visitors are from local/state government.

Also makes me wonder if this site is truly used for social networking — or for asking questions such as this.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Ari:

Am a member of the “federal community”

Probably not typical, but try to visit at least a couple times a day. Depending on the workload in my “other job” I might spend anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour per visit. All visits are NOT made during normal hours, has been suggested a couple of times that I “need to get a life”.Rather active in some groups and will post discussions/blogs/comments in the different groups…

Depends on the group whether am doing social networking or providing information that I BELIEVE COULD be of some use to SOME in a professional environment. Because My skill set tends toward either IT or Leadership, I would like to believe that at least a significant percentage of my postings don’t depend on the organizational groupings of the readers.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

10-30 minutes a day. I check the latest updates, and the first five pages of new members. I add locals and about half accept the invites. Just met a colleague from the SF Fire Dept. here last month and he plans to attend this week’s Third Thursdays civic tech meetup. I also find a lot of good tweetable content here, often reposted here by some of my favorite Gov 2.0 bloggers from around the world.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Go, Henry!

Kurt Williams
    Participant

I am a local gov worker and started by joining a couple groups. I occasionally read an email and then if a topic peaks my interest I’ll go check it out. Today I read some fantastic blog posts by GovLoop members.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Speaking of echoing, haven’t I seen this post before? 😉

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hey Ari – it’s truly a mix and like most social networks follow the 90-9-1 rule (lots of folks like to read the newsletter, read blogs/discussions, then 9% are the commentators and 1% are super users/bloggers/etc).

And actually if you look at social networks there is actually a lot of variety in uses (everyone thinks just Facebook style – stream/friending – most of professional social networks like a sermo (social network for doctors) is less about friending and more about reading/discussing useful information/questions.

About 50% fed, 30% state/local, 20% misc (contractor, public policy students/professors, etc)

Christina Morrison
    Participant

I always try to check out the latest from GovLoop members at least once every day. It’s a great source of information for me on new Gov 2.0 initiatives and to hear from different voice in agencies, federal or local.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.