How Should GovLoop Quote You?

Home Forums Miscellaneous How Should GovLoop Quote You?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sterling Whitehead 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

GovLoop is sharing the story of government folks like you in more and more places beyond our community, including the Washington Post, Huffington Post, Federal Computer Week and GovTech. One of our unique niches in the news space is to highlight and honor your great work in a manner that is “for gov, by gov.” And we want to make sure that we continue to tell your story in a way that retains your trust and respects your intentions for commenting and posting on GovLoop.

Just like we did with the discussion “Should OpenGov Spark OpenGovLoop?”, we want to get your thoughts on some potential guidelines. I know, I know, they sound somewhat formal…so we’ll be sure to GovLoop them up a bit in their final form:

1 – GovLoop respects all contributions of insight to the community in the form of blog posts, forum questions, comments and other forms of sharing information or opinions.

2 – On occasion, GovLoop will select and share portions of community content or conversations on other websites where we have been asked to write or respond to current news and events that pertain to the government workforce, seeking to represent member insights honestly and with an eye toward portraying government employees in a positive light.

3 – GovLoop will strive to contact members prior to posting these stories on other websites in order to ensure that all members quotations and references are appropriate for a broader audience, giving clear target dates for feedback in order to meet publishing deadlines.

4 – If GovLoop cannot reach you prior to publication, it may still include an excerpt from your post or comment, but will not use your name (i.e. “One commenter said…”)

5 – GovLoop will include links back to posts and/or comments in order to ensure that it has fully cited all member content.

Those are a few of my thoughts. What do you think about any of the specific points above? Would you add or exclude any of them?

As always, we’re walking with you every step of the way as build this community – a safe place for govies like you to connect and collaborate – together.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

The guidelines look good to me.

You can use my name if you quote me. It should be clear that all opinions are my own, though, so that nobody thinks I’m representing my agency when I post here. Thanks for asking. – Dannielle Blumenthal

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Use the whole quote or nothing at all. Do not selectively snip one sentence from a much longer post, thereby giving a MUCH different impression than what was originally intended. Apologize immediately if one of your staff does this and run a retraction on the site where the selective sentence was quoted. (ie recent Huffington Post article)

Henry Brown
    Participant

After getting an “official” letter of reprimand because I did not get prior approval for being quoted in the Washington Post, from a Discussion/blog which started here on GovLoop, would offer that in MY case I receive prior notification before being quoted so that I can engage in some risk management.

Hey Peter – Thanks for the feedback. That’s exactly why we’ve opened this forum. Please accept my apology and know that this forum is the beginning of a new way of handling the quote situation. In fact, I just got done sending out 5 messages to folks that I am quoting for an FCW piece and one of our Fellows has reached out to folks for a new Washington Post piece. Email me at [email protected] with the intention of the quote that was used so that we’re sure to get it right in an update to the post.

Hey Henry – I’m sorry that happened. I’d be more than happy to write a message to your supervisor explaining the situation, commending you for your noteworthy contributions to this community and asking that the letter of reprimand be removed from your personnel file. See my note to Peter above — we’re changing our processes here and I want to start by correcting some of these previous missteps. Email me at [email protected].

Charles A. Ray
    Participant

I think the guidelines are great. The only thing I would add is that when quoting someone, it might be wise not to mention their title or duty assignment to avoid any problems some people have with clearance procedures in their agency. Some agencies are still struggling with how to deal with social networking sites.

Agreeing with Charles. I would prefer my title and agency be omitted as standard practice. And if you could contact me first that would be helpful.

Interesting how something can be “public” via GovLoop and “public” in a lifted quote from GovLoop and those are totally separate things.

There is a visceral sensitivity to the words, “…and they were quoted in The Washington Post!”

…alright, you know what? Never quote me. 🙂

Just a quick note:

GL contacted me re: proposed quote in the paper, and I did route the request through agency.

Letting everyone know that on a practical level, there is a difference between a comment on GL (though you should always follow social media guidelines) and a comment in the mainstream media.

If you’re not sure, always ask.

Have a good one –

Dannielle

Anita Arile
    Participant

I agree with Dannielle, as long as my quote is clarified as being my opinion and does not represent the agency I am employed with. Then again, my quotes rarely reach my leaders because “social networking” is stereotyped on Guam (all social networks are websites used only for socializing). But, I can tell you, it was awesome being quoted in the Huffington Post!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.