How to present videos (city council, budget etc.) on your website?

Home Forums Technology How to present videos (city council, budget etc.) on your website?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Subhashini Narra
    Participant

Hello All,

We have two issues to address, in regards to presenting videos on our website. Firstly, what media player do you offer to website visitors for playing video? We are using windows media player, but the look is very outdated and users cannot expand the window to view the video in full screen. What are some of the better ways to play videos?

Secondly, how do you define what videos are to be stored in your multimedia server versus YouTube? We have majority of the videos on our multimedia server and few videos on our YouTube channel.

Any advice that you can provide on these two fronts will be very helpful.

Thanks.

Narra

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Not a product pitch (and I have no affiliation) but I know a lot of cities do this via using the company Granicus – so may want to check them out

Sandy Ressler
    Participant

I just happened across an excellent article on just this issue on LifeHacker…go to:

http://lifehacker.com/5893250/whats-the-difference-between-all-these-video-formats-and-which-one-should-i-use

good luck..Sandy

Tara*
    Participant

I work for a training division in the FDA and we decide where to host our videos based on the intended audience. If the video has proprietary information that needs to be protected, we use our servers and post it to the intranet. If it is intended for the general public, we host it on our YouTube channel.

The nice thing about YouTube is that you can either simply use a text link to the video’s page or you can very easily get the embed code and embed the YouTube player right in your own webpage, keeping viewers on your website. YouTube also has a couple other great features that few people are aware of. First, if you upload a text file of your transcript, it will work out the timing and create captions automatically. And if you prefer to limit access somewhat, you can change the privacy settings so that it won’t show up in a search, only if the viewer has the direct link.

If you’re looking for an alternative with more privacy options, I really like Vimeo. You can set it so that the video can or can’t be downloaded and embedded and can limit embed permission to only certain websites, so you know that other websites aren’t using your video as their own.

If you have someone with experience in Flash (or HTML 5, as Flash seems to be dying a slow death), you can convert your videos to one of those formats and embed them directly into your webpage. However, that is a much more labor intensive option.

Hopefully, this gives you an idea of your options. If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I’ll be happy to help in whatever way I can!

Subhashini Narra
    Participant

Thank you very much Tara. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Narra

Tim Treanor
    Participant

Hello Narra,

My company Online Video Service has been partnering with public agencies on their internet broadcasting strategies for ten years. Before you get into what formats and bitrate and technical questions — you and your team needs to sit back and have a larger discussion on your internet broadcasting strategy.

We like to say, “if you have the power of your own television station, what would you broadcast live and on demand?” Internet broadcasting requires buy-in from elected officials, public affairs and staff. It will become one of your agencies most important communications platforms and needs to be treated with that in mind.

Always remember, its not about trying to reach the whole world — rather internet broadcasting for public affairs is a stakeholder platform. Internet video is the most powerful tool to reach your stakeholder networks.

Good luck.

Tim Treanor

Brian Gryth
    Participant

Narra,

The Colorado Secretary of State currently uses VImeo, see http://vimeo.com/coloradosos. Vimeo is good because there are fewer advertising issues and at the end of a video no suggestion for additional videos are made. (That could be an issue.) Vimeo video, like Youtube video, can be embedded on our website.

Thanks,

Brian

We have moved most of our videos to YouTube. It is easy for us to place them in our site and easy for us and our partners to share on social media channels. This has so far avoided the issue of people not having the correct player installed on their machine. You would want to set up a government channel with YouTube, as that would

Subhashini Narra
    Participant

Thank you for the input.

Subhashini Narra
    Participant

Michael,

We do have a government channel with YouTube. For any hosted solution, we are asked to evaluate two key aspects – security and disaster recovery. How did you account for these two items? Did you sign a contract with YouTube? In addition, how do your copyrights change when you publish videos to YouTube. Please help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.