How will our Aging Population Housing Needs Change?

Home Forums Acquisitions How will our Aging Population Housing Needs Change?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sterling Whitehead 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on the dynamic changes our society is going to go through over the course of the next 10-20-30 years?

1) How will the housing needs of an aging population change? Nationally and Locally in your county?

2) Will government be more involved with this growing trend? What is government planning on doing do and how?

3) How will younger generations help with managing their own homes and the aging in place needs of their parents and extended family members?

The underlying question is how will we help manage the increasing housing, maintenance and repair needs of our seniors?

If you are the adult child of a senior parent, raising your own children and working full-time while also managing your own home, it could become a challenge to manage both of your parents homes and your own home as well.

In looking at it from a local level and depending on which statistics you review (there are several sources), Maryland now has more than one million seniors.

Even more closer to home, Montgomery County has about 181,00 senior residents who are 60 years old and over-or just about 18% of the entire current county population. That number is expected to roughly increase to more that 215,000 seniors in just under five years to nearly 22% of the population).

And, there are 364,000 residential homes in our county, /22% of that number equates to about than 80,000 senior residences. (see this county report showing two maps of current and projected senior in a map on pages 28 & 29, and here is another perspective of the statistical senior migration report for Maryland) It is projected that there will be three key Maryland jurisdictions which will see growth as a result of the in migration of younger families, mainly from the older suburban jurisdictions to Baltimore, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.

It is precisely these newer suburban jurisdictions that are likely to present the largest percentage of increases in the elderly population in Maryland over the next 20 years. Furthermore, the increased aging in place needs of seniors will not just be confined to our immediate local area. This will become a national challenge. For example, the 85-and-older population will more than triple between 2009 and 2050 in the United States alone. These are staggering statistics, in my mind.

Anybody else thinking about these sorts of issues?

And, finally does Government prioritize needs now and in the future?

How can we leverage Gov 2.0 to help me the growing national and local needs?

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Would Hoovervilles be an improvement over nursing homes?

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Toooo Funny!

Pat Rupert
    Participant

Thoughts:
    The peak of the boom generation is mid fifties, the leading edge are mid sixties. Effect on housing? More ground level bedrooms & entries and greater demand for higher density retirement communities located near, or with easy reach of medical support. In addition; the boomers (and later generations) are more active that prior generations, so access to recreation and sport facilities (particularly ones easy on the knees and hips), social activities. Denser communities with close (and easy access) storage facilities. The communities are likely to include those services we perform as middle age home owners as part of a home owners association (landscaping, home maintenance, etc) and anticipate an increase in the demand for bundled services; cable, communications, transportation (on demand wheelchair accessible public transportation – see Mason County, Washington state).
    I thought a lot about these as I was dealing with my parents the last couple of years.
    Regarding government (and the blasted health care ‘system’), if the system were to become more customer focused (the customer being the patient) services could be provided much better. Example; Taking my mother to a physician, at the same clinic she’d been going to for the last year, but seeing a new doc, I had to fill out an intake for (yet again – really got sick of those). I explained to the nurse/receptionist that I had filled one out just a few months ago and couldn’t she pull that from the files? Of course not, the ‘government says it is not legal to do that. I suspect the truth is more likely that there are regulations about sharing private medical information and rather than jump through the hoops put in place by ‘oversight’, it is just easier, from the small medical business practioneer, to have the customer perform valueless actions.
    I suspect the government does prioritize, but I don’t think it is done on a rational basis, I’d guess the prioritization is done as a reaction to input from donators or screamers (squeaking wheels).
    How to use Gov 2.0? put a lot of effort into it. You asked questions covering a very broad area. One way to start the conversation is break it down to logical chunks, then start an area of interest for each one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.