how would you solve the problem?

Home Forums Acquisitions how would you solve the problem?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Blount 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

50 schools have had to close. How would you solve the problem?

Do we need brick & mortar buildings to educate the seniors in those 50 schools for them to complete their course work to graduate, and on time?

Or, is there another solution out there? How about smart phones for distance learning with teachers using video curriculum/cousres from a central location? Edu 2.0?

What if we got a 9.0 or 10.0 earth quake and all of shut government down? All cell towers and telephone wires become in operable so you can NOT use your Blackberry’s?

How would you solve getting business done? Government 2.0 any where?

What if your entire metro power grid crashed for a week or more (i.e. with some implanted virus or from the above stated earth quake)? How would prioritize government acquisition needs & solutions?
    Can Acquisition 2.0 function now with such a scenario?

Pick a topic, and lets talk about it!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

WOW – What a topic! I get so amped up on stuff like this, I had to take a breath before I answered.

First; the way schools are – yes it is terrible. I can’t say more about how the whole situation in public schools is bad without Steve deleting my message. 🙂

Let’s look at students as individuals instead of how teachers (who many have had jobs for years) look at them. There are plenty of students who really want to graduate normally, and be allowed to go to the prom, etc. BUT, they are from one parent households, or both their parents don’t make enough money to pay the bills, so the student must work to help out. OK, so you have a student who really wants to graduate, but is mature enough to work to help support the family, but they show up at school tired, they don’t get the home work done right on time, etc and what do they get – written up, put in detention, scolded by grown-ups who have jobs and have food on the table. So, what does the teen do – exactly what a grown-up would do if they were failing at the one thing that was not putting food on the table or gas in their Mom’s car, they would quit!

Schools today are set up for some nirvana society that we have never had. What I think should happen, is this;

1) You are not allowed to drop out of high school until you reach June after your 18th birthday. 2) After 16 you can tranfer to online High School classes (through your own high school), but the online teacher will not set exact homework schedules. If you have a paper due, and you have to work, fine turn it in when you get time to do it. But, the homework would be set up on 9 week schedules so the students would not get too far behind or think they have 4 months to accomplish the work. In fact, the students could take some classes in class, and some classes online.

3) colleges are set up like this and some employment is set up like this, so if our schools are supposed to be prepapring our kids for the workforce, why are we using a 1900s brick and mortor school plan? I mean really, if you get rid of all the assmblies, and speeches, and wasted time in school, the kids really only learn about 4 hours a day. So, a student could work 4 hours a day, and learn four hours a day at home, and in reality learn more then a traditional in-class student and have a resume to prove it!

Why am I so passionate about this? I was a high school teacher, and I hated the “old” way many of the teachers believed in. I hated the power trip many teachers had over students who did not fall into the perfect little model. I taught the vocational kids. Some of these kids had children of their own (but were not allowed cell phones even if their child was sick), some of these kids had full time jobs (but were scolded by other teachers if they fell asleep in class), some of these kids had seen some of the horror that life can throw at you (but were expected to be afraid and cower if the teacher threatened detention); yet these kids showed up to school everyday just trying to get that piece of paper that they know they needed to get out of the situation they were in. No wonder they end up quitting. Some of these kids had dreams and ambitions some teachers could not even understand. I had one student who wanted to join the Marines, a teacher (YES A TEACHER) told him he would never make it, he was too far gone. What does that even mean? Our public schools are failing our kids, and there are some teachers who mentally abuse those who don’t fit into a perfect bubble. And we wonder why they drop out. Heck I would too!

One last question I have? If students do a class in the afternoon, or take summer school, why are these grades not considered part of the GPA? If a student is sitting in class learning and they make good grades it should be considered in the GPA. Colleges count every class in the GPA, not just the ones taken with traditional students.

The whole public school system needs to be revamped. It is failing, and everyone is looking at the parents. Or worse, they keep throwing good money into a bad system. Look at the actual system. It is so outdated. The kids don’t even want to be there because many kids know more about the subjects then the teachers teaching the subjects. (and I am not joking when I say that). If we look at the system, and how smart and mature most kids really are, then we may get somewhere.

I won’t even tackle the other subjects. I think I have said enough on this one. 🙂

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Wow, and thank you Amanda.

Can we send a solution or a list of viable suggestions first to Kansas, and then follow up with suggestions to other states who have run out of money? For example, Virginia.

I could be sort of a creative brief for consideration and, deliberation?

How about a contest where youth in these states submit valid immediate ideas to help their own states?

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Well, my first and foremost idea; teach the kids more on a track like colleges do (you have the choice of if you take a class online or in class), but you are still allowed to participate in school activities (like sports, prom, clubs, etc). The problem I see is this, kids do have some choices, but if they take the after hours GED, or alternative schools, then they are not in mainstream school with the mainstream programs which most people list on resumes. The public school’s answer to the problem at hand is not making the situation better, but worse for these kids when they actually do Graduate.

I personally know a family (my son’s best friend), who takes college classes for high school (paid for by the parents), and he must take his English at the High School, but because they choose this route of teaching their son, he cannot participate in the High School events. He is forced to participate in College events, but some college events requires you to be 18 do pariticipate. So, in some things, he is in limbo. He loves it though. The public high school program was failing him, so his parents took his education in their own hands. BTW – I used to home school my kids using the internet, and other tech devices. They are so independent, and I like to think it is somewhat due to the school environment I provided them.

I believe school boards need to get creative and open their minds, not their wallets. Can you imagine how much money a school system would save on buses, electricity, brick and mortar, if they would open their minds and allow many of the students to earn a regular diploma from home??!! So what, shut down the schools due to no money – let the kids (who want to and who can) learn from home. If their grades start to drop, then force them back into the classroom. LOL I can imagine many kids keeping their grades up just to stay out of regular school!

Raise the drop out age to 18, and let all 16 and above choose how they want to attend school. Or, just let the parents choose. We used to travel alot, so that is why I homeschooled. It was easier to take vacations with my military husband on his schedule, not the school’s schedule.

There are so many ways home schooling could save the school system money. And they would not have to lose teachers. The online students still need teachers and mentors. But, if we lose a few of the bad teachers and let the good ones work from home grading papers, well I am all for that too. But, we won’t go into that.

Bill Bott
    Participant

What if we just dropped the senior year all together and move kids to two years of higher ed on the Dept of Education? It get the students on tracks, and better prepares them for the workforce we need… By cutting 1/4 of the students – we can move others around and close 1/4 our aging schools… with the money saved on buildings and admin – we can finally start to afford to make our classrooms resemble the modern workplace…

of course – it’s all irrelevant if the power grid goes… loot all you can and head for the hills!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Bill, that is not such a bad idea. A college year called something like Pre-college or something like that.

We have a program here in TN called junior College (not the normal junior College) where 11th and 12th graders can go to college instead of high school, but they cannot attend prom, sports, or clubs activiites, or anything like that. They miss that part which is important to some.

As for the grid – I am with you! I will run for the hills! LOL

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Just too, funny Bill. Thanks for the feedback. I like that idea of yours. Make them all online as well, ehhh? Which hills should I run for?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.