Hyperlinks on a Resume?

Home Forums Careers Hyperlinks on a Resume?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Camille Roberts 8 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

Tonight I was helping a friend put together her resume, she had a lot of really great examples of things she had written online, would you recommend hyperlinking the content in the resume?

My take is yes – why not direct people to content you have written, and if I was a hiring manager, I would go off looking for it anyways, why not make it easier?

That is just me and was curious if there is any standard on this, and compelling reasons not to do it, so appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

Camille Roberts
    Participant

Hi Pat,

You probably know my answer which is: it depends. I expect you will get mixed comments on this, but I will give you (and others) some things to think about when hyperlinking on a résumé. The employment landscape has changed and hiring officials and recruiters are not only using the Internet and social media more often to research candidates, but RELYING on the Internet for that information. There are numerous venues for a candidate to “brand” themselves and use social media to their advantage if done correctly.

• Will the “hyperlinked” page add value to the cause?
    • Does it support the candidate’s goals?
    • Will it encourage the reader to go back to the résumé, or compel the reader to want to learn even more about the candidate?
    • Does it give the reader another breadcrumb to follow in discovering the value of the candidate? For example, let’s say the hyperlink goes to LinkedIn. Is the profile complete? Is the summary compelling enough to get the reader to invite the candidate to connect? Does the profile make it easy for the reader to connect? If not, re-write that first. Someone who is not a connection cannot see the whole profile, so it has to be an attention grabber…and quick!
    • Where is the link going?
    • Be sure the link works! Broken links are obviously a dead end and the person just might not click the Back button.
    • Is the placement of the hyperlink far enough past the 6-10 seconds of capturing their attention to pique their interest before redirecting them to a new site? To me, this is the most critical and must be done strategically. If you have not captured their attention before clicking on the hyperlink, there is a slim chance you will with the hyperlinked page so be sure BOTH are branded and demonstrate what the candidate can do for the employer.

With that said, I am a firm believer in several file formats of the résumé, i.e., .doc, .pdf, and the .txt. I think if the above criteria are met, then put it on. I would limit it to one or two hyperlinks at the most. Keep the focus on the résumé. The text file (.txt) is the file format that should be used to build the résumé on USAJOBS and other places where you need to “build” the résumé. In that case, the hyperlink will appear as plain text. If the reader wants to go to that page, they can copy and paste the URL and check it out that way.

You could also not hyperlink and just have the web site be plain text so that the hyperlink does not cause the applicant tracking systems to drop the link and throw in “ERROR: hyperlink not found.” So as an example instead, just type http://www.LinkedIn.com/CamilleCarboneauRoberts with no hyperlink.

Something else to think about: some spam filters treat links as potential junk mail and it could land in the junk folder so be careful when sending the .doc and .pdf files with a hyperlink. You don’t want it to land in the recycle bin before it gets read.

I also recommend not using hyperlinks to former employer’s web sites, or other places that take the focus off the candidate. This is a time to have all the attention focused on the candidate. Think “all roads need to lead to me (candidate)” for maximum effectiveness.

This is something you have to strategize. Not knowing the target audience for your friend, and what system the résumé is going to, makes it difficult to make a solid recommendation, but I hope this helps you somewhat.

Camille Roberts
    http://www.ccCareerServices.com (Yes, feel free to visit. New web site will launched soon though!)

*Federal Career Expert personally helping high-achieving clients land their dream jobs…FASTER!
    Social Media Consultant—LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ GovGigs Advisor (Rock Your Résumé Program) http://www.GovLoop.com
    GovGigs Résumé Reviewer
    Federal Career Expert/Author – http://www.Job-Hunt.org

Certified Master Résumé Writer
    Certified Federal Résumé Writer/Coach
    Certified Professional Résumé Writer
    Certified Employment Interview Professional
    Certified Internet Job Search Expert
    Certified Social Media Career Strategist
    Online Professional Networking Strategist—LinkedIn
    Microblogging Career Strategist—Twitter
    Social Networking Career Strategist—Facebook
    Behavioral Consultant and Authorized DISC Administrator

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

50/50 on this one.

My assumption is that everyone spends 30 seconds on a resume. So not a top things to check out all the hyperlinks (and I’ve googled in past if really cared)

My default – cool to add a couple but not like 8 as would get annoying (dont link to every employer, publication, etc)

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

Great, thanks so much for the thoughtful and insightful feedback! I think there is for sure a strategy, and know this post will help out my friend. Thanks again!

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

Yeah I don’t think getting excessive with hyperlinks is a good move either…but just a few could be a good way to show off some writing samples, might be curious by seeing the link.

Steve
    Participant

I’m no expert, but it sounds like this is really an example of a portfolio. Maybe she could create a portfolio pages containing links to these examples and then offer a link to her portfolio from the resume.

Eric Pecinovsky
    Participant

Nowadays, candidates that have online work should secure their own url (name.com) and aggregate all the relevant links there, whether it be writing, blogging, social profiles, etc. On the resume, you hyperlink to your website. Keeps it clean.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

At the end of the day, there is probably no 100% correct answer to a question like this. It’s impossible to get into the mind of a specific hiring manager, and whether they are more traditional and would find it annoying or whether they embrace the fact that you’re making the information and sources more available.

I think I would research the specific company and make that choice based on where I’m applying.

Colleen Ayers
    Participant

This is what I’ve done in the past for my big job search. It also allowed me to focus my resume down to one page, and leave a “For more information, see http://….” one liner. I figured this gave me the best of both worlds – a really short, one page resume for the quick glance and highlights, and then my online resume had more details, links to organizations I’d worked with, and I even uploaded some documents as writing samples.

I know not everyone has the tech savvy to build their own website, but I think LinkedIn is offering a good alternative to that for very simple links, etc. But I’d make sure it’s all cleaned up first. And it’s always a good idea, but particularly if you’re leading someone to go online about you, make sure your Facebook, etc, is all cleaned up and professional looking!

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I think everyone appreciates receiving an applicant file that is “clean” and easily forwarded to other relevant parties in on the hiring decision. If the documents in a portfolio are large, then paper version are a nonstarter, but even attached files may exceed the mail server’s capacity, or be frowned upon by IT. I’ve had many instances where security or other firewalls simply blocked attachments above a given size. In which case, a link to a dependable location can be very useful.

Like several others here, I share a concern for the reliability of the links provided. Organizations have a way of changing web-sites on us without informing us, and documents or initiatives we’re proud of and refer employers to may well still be up…but with a different URL. And frustrating a prospective employer, even if unintentionally, is a lousy way to start a relationship.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.