If You Could Do Anything and Not Fail, What Would It Be?

Home Forums Acquisitions If You Could Do Anything and Not Fail, What Would It Be?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Sperry 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

If you could do anything and not fail, what would it be?

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Find some activity where failure was a possibility so that success would be meaningful.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Well we are about to start building a tool to modernize the career search process for Gen Y. I would love to not fail at that venture 🙂

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

I love it Elliot!!

Sherry Pearson
    Participant

Regain my health.

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

Powerful question. Reminds me of a sign I had on my wall in college that said, “What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” I’ll have to think about this.

Chris Poirier
    Participant

go all in on my business ideas (DCStartUp Style)

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Rock on. What’s your concept?

Cassidy Seeman
    Participant

Open and run a Theatre and Performing Arts Center

Robert Eckhardt
    Participant

Run an honest consulting firm that focuses on IT solutions for midsized companies that can’t afford the Accenture, IBM, SAP, Oracle folks or if they can afford the solution they can’t translate the bulldookie.

I want to figure out how to make a living by eliminating contract stuffing I guess.

Successful parenting!

Sherry Pearson
    Participant

Do your best – they will be fine.

linda perry
    Participant

Solve the clean nuclear fusion problem so that we could have endless nuclear power with simply water (no radiation at all) as the by-product.

Dory Dahlberg
    Participant

Successful parenting is exactly what I was thinking.

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

Ride my bicycle across the US.

Once, someone asked me the opposite question. “What would you NOT mind failing at?” I, of course, objected to the question. But it made me think. Consider this story:

Failing is one of the best tutors in career development. Consider the story of a new bank
    president who went to meet his predecessor. Upon being introduced he quickly said, “I
    would like to know what have been the keys to your success.” The older man looked at him
    for a moment and replied, “Young man, I can sum it up in two words: Good decisions.”
    To that the young man replied, “I thank you immensely for that advice, sir, but how does
    one come to know which are the good decisions?” “One word, young man,” replied the old
    man. “Experience.” “That’s all good and well,” said the young executive, “but how does one get
    experience?” “Two words,” replied the old man, “Bad decisions.”

If you really want to succeed, be prepared to grow into it. Lose your fear of failure and risk doing
    something that’s important to you.

– Lou Stoops

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Time Travel

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Quite possibly run for public office.

That has three levels of failure: 1) not getting elected, 2) getting elected but not accomplishing what you set out to do, and 3) accomplishing what you set out to do only to find out it had the opposite effect of what you thought.

But it would be cool to succeed on all three levels.

Jenny Groome
    Participant

that’s what I was going to say

Jenny Groome
    Participant

so then is that failure? I know this will sound trite – and that was my response to the following:

There is no failure, only learning opportunities you choose to take or ignore.

Over time I have found that the small impact may have been temporary failure – but the larger impact is success from learning and experience

Jenny Groome
    Participant

Flying was the first word that popped into my head with an image of soaring in the skies (no wings, plane, etc).

A second of thought and “Parenting” followed by “full 9 month term pregnancy rather that 6 months”

Then I thought of all I learned from my son’s 3 1/2 month stay in the NICU – and realized that overcoming fear of failure is about all I could honestly say,

Rita Wojciechowski
    Participant

I would go for my third degree in nursing. I really don’t feel as though I would fail. Why because I have been an federal employee within the Veterans Administration since 1988, and I also recently finished my masters degree in information technology, and I feel very confident that I can do anything I set my mind to. But as a nurse I feel the job opportunities would let me travel to warmer climates after serving a while at my current VA hospital. I already have the confidence that I would do well.

John Sim
    Participant

First thought: compete in and complete a full-length Ironman.

Reality check thought: be a good parent.

Final answer: land an interview with Google to be the new executive in charge of EEO & Diversity at Google.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

President? Rock star?

Nathan Greenhut
    Participant

Predicting the world’s toughest problems and achieving the best possible results.

Anne Hasselbrack
    Participant

Write a bestselling novel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.