If You Could Have Lunch With Anyone (someone really cool), Who Would It Be?

Home Forums Acquisitions If You Could Have Lunch With Anyone (someone really cool), Who Would It Be?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

I’d go for Sloane Crosley, one of my favorite authors, and the female equivalent of David Sedaris.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Steve Ressler – He is the coolest!

Kati Knowles
    Participant

I’d have to say Sherrod Brown, senator of Ohio. He simply amuses me!

Jay Johnson
    Participant

Definately Seth Godin.

Mary Miller
    Participant

Bradley Cooper as his character in Limitless.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

I hate the “echo chamber effect” of talking to people who agree with me all the time, so I’d like to have lunch with Rush Limbaugh. I know we have one thing in common; we both like the music of Chip Davis’ Mannheim Steamroller. We could end up like Ted Kennedy and Jerry Falwell and become friends or we may end up throwing pastries off the dessert cart at each other. Either way, it would be an interesting lunch!

Vajitha Ghouse
    Participant

Angela Merkel — Chancellor of Germany!

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

Steve Jobs and Jay-Z

Christine Brush
    Participant

I would love to have lunch with Betty White; I think she is such a fun lady, and shows us that age doesn’t matter!

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

you should bring both in together

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

yes – she would be so adorable

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

bring it!

Matthew Harline
    Participant

Ira Glass of “This American Life.” The stories he could tell. Or Peter Gammons of MLB.com, but that would be in the spring before my fantasy baseball draft. I have some picks that are female but I am not sure my motives would be intirely pure.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

@Matthew – at least your are honest 🙂

Jesus Christ – I’d like to know the REAL story!

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I took guitar historian/dealer George Gruhn to lunch two Septembers ago, so I can’t put that on my wish list anymore. Forty years ago, I went for lunch with Ted Nugent, and that was pretty interesting, though I don’t know that I’d wish for a repeat.

A good friend had the pleasure of meeting a broad range of international luminaries in his capacity as university president. He had very good things to say about Fareed Zakaria, was somewhat underwhelmed by the Dalai Lama, and saved his highest praise for former Clinton labour secretary Robert Reich. The few times I’ve seen him on The Daily Show support that assessment. He sounds like he might make for a wonderful lunch, though I imagine my food would get end up getting cold.

Colin Powell would probably make for an equally mesmerising afternoon. The fact that he is reputedly fluent in Yiddish would add that little bit extra, and probably get us better service at the Carnegie Deli.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Jesus Christ, but it would have to be alone. I have enough of my own quesitons.

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Todd Park, HHS’s CTO. Well, maybe after Steve Ressler…

I think it would have to be Michelle Obama. Not sure why. There’s got to be quite a story there. If not Michelle, Stephen King would be a close 2nd.

Dennis McDonald
    Participant

President Obama, absolutely.

Allison Primack
    Participant

Hands down, I would pick Paul McCartney. But if we’re talking gov people, I would pick Barbara Boxer or Diane Feinstein. Two fellow Californian women who have been in office for so many years? Sounds awesome to me.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Terry – that’s easy. Just name the time/place I’m there. I’m a cheap date too (Five Guys or Breadline?)

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Obama, Buffett, Jay-Z.

Cristina Marrero
    Participant

This is quite interesting,,,,,so I suppose I will also weigh in.

I suppose it would first be President Obama & Michelle,

Warren Buffet, or any of the many 9-11 heros.

Andrew Nebus
    Participant

Interesting question, I actually started a trend after meeting someone from twitter….

• Once a month, I find someone new to meet… lunch, dinner, drinks, etc.
    • Once a month, I re-connect with someone I haven’t seen in a while (same).
    • Once a month, I attend a training course or seminar (some months, there are several, some I have to push)
    • Once a month, I take my wife out – sans kid… arguably the hardest one to plan.

Makes the “who would you have lunch with” question come up a lot!

Short list of people I would enjoy having lunch with: Alex Howard, Adriel Hampton, Steve Ressler, Christopher Whitaker, Christof Putzel and Mariana van Zeller (Vanguard).

Joe Williams
    Participant

I’d go for Clayton Christensen, Harvard professor and mastermind behind disruptive innovation.

Great topic! Love the responses so far.

Donna Ledbetter
    Participant

Oprah

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Chris Alvanas – Program Director, Washington Campus

Chris is a digital photographer, Photoshop maven and a sought-after postproduction artist. He taught both of the one-day seminars I took on HDR photography and I would love to pick his brain one on one.

Policy, busuiness and esoteric conversations have their place but very little matches learning how to create a work of art.

C Porche
    Participant

Malcom Gladwell his stuff has so many personal AHA! points

Mark Hammer
    Participant

And I’d be the fly buzzing beside you.

Sometimes watching two or 3 people have a good discussion is remarkable food for the soul.

John Sim
    Participant

Joe, if you don’t mind, I’d like to join you and the Professor.

By the way, Clayton Christensen has a new book out: The Innovator’s DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators – this one is on my to-read list.

Paul Homan
    Participant

Hillary Clinton. I love Hillary.

Patricia Paul
    Participant

I would definitely pick lunch with Jesus Christ–what an opportunity.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

my new best friend and business partners

Farrell Rouse
    Participant

Maureen O’Hara and Betty White together. What fun that would be!

Rohn Brown
    Participant

MARIO CUOMO. “Mario, Mario… Wherefore art thou, Mario???”

(If I’m allowed a 2nd… Neil Young too!)

Melba Davison
    Participant

I’d LOVE to be there for that interaction!

MINNIE BECTON
    Participant

Living or Dead: well in the living category; its got to be Prince and the dead but I can’t have lunch with someone dead… can I?? Oh well, one of my ancestors (I’m a genealogy nut!).

Heather Coleman
    Participant

Two really good choices! I would have said Michelle Obama as well.

Matthew Harline
    Participant

Well I didn’t think it was fair to choose dead people or I would have said Robert F. Kennedy and Alexander Hamilton. Jefferson, as much as I admire hime was too much of a sphinx and even in death probably wouldn’t reveal what he really thought.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.