[INFOGRAPHIC] Most Important Traits Not on a Resume?

Home Forums Careers [INFOGRAPHIC] Most Important Traits Not on a Resume?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ali 6 years ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

What do you think are the most important traits that can’t be easily captured on a resume? Grace? Ethics? Charisma?

Here’s a great infographic that highlights this. What else would you add?

Ali
    Participant

Actually, a variation of “grace under pressure” features prominently on my resume; under my “skills and abilities” section. 😉 I consider it to be among the most critical competencies/qualities for my particular line of work, so I always have it on there. 🙂

Jeff Ribeira

This is a great list. An applicant is so much more than what can feasibly be communicated on a piece of paper. I think there’s great opportunity here for job seekers to get more creative with the wording and structure of their resumes, but also for hiring managers to actually take more time to consider the complete individual and not just what’s written on a piece of paper.

Mary Yang
    Participant

I agree that a resume is never a full reflection of a person’s abilities or potential – but I think if you provide or highlight projects or examples of your work/successes on your resume, you can demonstrate some of these traits. For example, on my resume, in a previous job, I highlight a project where I had to research, write & edit 50 pieces of collateral in a week. I met my deadline without having a breakdown. If that doesn’t show grace under pressure, work ethic, and ambition, I don’t know what would.

Allison Primack
    Participant

When I asked “What do you think are the most important traits that can’t be easily captured on a resume?” on GovLoop’s Facebook, users said…

Mary Burr Davie passion, energy and enthusiam

Hoang Nguyen I believe #1 is Passion

I agree that it is difficult to capture some of these elements in a resume, which is why I believe that interviews are more important in most situations. If you are able to genuinely show that you possess these qualities, that speaks more than just writing them on paper.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Wisdom is rarely, if ever, included, but is always appreciated and valued, no matter what the level of the position.

Ironically, in those instances where it is valued and sought least, it is probably needed most. Life’s funny that way.

I would add “reliability” to this list. Charisma is great for many things, but not for producing high quality product on time without driving team members crazy.

When the resume only covers “education and experience” you miss alot that goes into what will make that person a good fit and asset to the team.

What have you found to be the most successful techniques for employers to look beyond the resume… either in interviews or other hiring techniques?

Elaine Thompson
    Participant

My younger daughter i advised to include in her resume, under the summary of her qualifications, that she got her first job at the age of 14, to give a sense that she’s a go-getter. My older daughter i advised to spell out her 9-month volunteer stint that included living in a house with people she had not previously met – showing adaptability and ability to get on in a team. Both daughters have had success finding jobs with those resumes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.