Infographics: Do You Prefer to Print Them or Read Them Online?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Infographics: Do You Prefer to Print Them or Read Them Online?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Elliot Volkman 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Over the past few months, GovLoop has been churning out infographics that (we hope) bring great value to government employees. Our goal is to visualize data and information in plain language with graphical support so that it’s easy to understand government stuff at a glance. Here’s a list with links:

1. 2010 Federal Pay Freeze – By the Numbers
    2. President’s FY2012 Budget
    3. 4 Winning Tips for a Successful Interview
    4. Rock Your Resume, USAJobs-Style
    5. 10 Tips for Letting Federal Employers Know Your Worth
    6. 500+ OpenGov Projects – Quick and Easy To Access

Since they all tend to be a bit long vertically, I’m wondering if it makes them hard to read (which defeats the purpose behind their creation!) – both online and in print. So here are my questions:

• How do you prefer to view / use our infographs?
    • Do you read them online?
    • Do you print them out and post them at your desk?
    • Bottom line: should we optimize for web or print…or both?

Thanks for your feedback…we have a bunch more coming, and we want to make sure that they are valuable, visually appealing and easy-to-use.

Also, if you have other ideas for government stuff you’d love to see in an infographic format, please let us know below!

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Hey Andrew – Generally I would say there are at least two basic types of inforgraphics. 1. Long flowchat style (4 Winning Tips for a Successful Job Interview infographic), 2. or one page with some visuals and minimal data (500+ OpenGov Projects).

The longer flowchart style ones are fantastic, and great link bate. Essentially you create a box that allows people to embed it on their sites, blogs, etc and it creates an instant backlink to the host. Thus increasing your page rank on Google/Bing.

The shorter, one page briefs are better for printing and handing out during presentations or at live events.

Ahhh…but which do you prefer?

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Honestly I prefer the longer ones like the FY2012 budget infographic. Excellent work on that by the way.

Dick Davies
    Participant

A good info graphic uses hyperlinks to tell more of the story. Therefore I prefer to read them in the browser. A non linked (dead) graphic is a chart, and often the screen has higher definition that a printer.

Fernando Beltran
    Participant

I prefer to read them online (because there are too many nowadays) but for the ones I really liked, I prefer to print them and keep them as a reference and for working sessions (proposals, brainstorming, inspiration, etc.)

If you are thinking about creating a long-form infographic you may want to design it in a way that people can still print different sections on Letter-sized paper

Daniel Hanttula
    Participant

The full-size graphics (scrolling through) are absolutely beautiful and (IMO) much easier to navigate than the flash-based charts. I’ll be honest; I’ve even used the really good ones as my Windows Desktop, because they’re interesting to review and make for a cool lock screen. Thanks for being interested in our opinions.

I have been doing a lot of research in to Info graphics…I find them very cool. Thought to share this with you guys: http://mashable.com/2011/06/29/vizualize-me/?utm_source=Mashable&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+(Mashable)

Nick Robinson
    Participant

Can we post an infographic to the infographic section by tagging it appropriately? We have a new infographic that we want to share!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.