International Repercussions from NSA Leaks

Home Forums Miscellaneous International Repercussions from NSA Leaks

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pam Broviak 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

There has been a significant amount of “push-back” from the international community, a significant portion of it being negative…

IMO a significant amount of the “noise” is primarily for domestic consummation but ….

From ZDnet.com
    The European Parliament will vote on Thursday (July 4th) to adopt a resolution on measures against the U.S. government over the mass surveillance operation conducted by the National Security Agency.

In a plenary sitting in Strasbourg, numerous members of the European Parliament (MEPs) have called for the suspension of EU-U.S. trade talks, which are currently under way, until the picture surrounding the activities of the U.S.’ intelligence activities becomes clearer.

Also on the cards is the suspension of crucial EU-U.S. agreements, such as the Terrorist Finance Tracking Programme (TFTP) and the Passenger Name Records (PNR), which could see flights suspended between the two continents.

Pam Broviak
    Participant

I took part in a meeting several months ago online where all of us seemed to be from different countries. The conversation turned to privacy online and what I realized from the discussion was how totally protective people from other countries are of their online privacy. The strength of their feelings about it surprised me – it was not just a casual opinion on their part at all. They thought those of us in the US were way too tolerant of what we allow to be done with our online activity. And all that was before the NSA story broke. I’m including a brief snippet of my comments from that meeting only because it is interesting to read back over them since they were made well before the public knew about NSA’s activity – I removed the name of the other person commenting (of course NSA probably already has this conversation logged!):

[2013/02/03 19:22] me: i think they already do that now without telling us
    [2013/02/03 19:24] me: there is no privacy here
    [2013/02/03 19:24] me: but we can say anything we want – they just will monitor it
    [2013/02/03 19:24] XXXXXXXX: /me waves HELLO to the homeland security guys monitoring this meeting
    [2013/02/03 19:28] XXXXXXXX: needle in a haystack
    [2013/02/03 19:31] me: I am sure they monitor me – it’s just something i assume
    [2013/02/03 19:33] me: they justify it for national security

So I knew just based on my limited experience in discussing this topic with people from other nations during this meeting that this action by our government to intrude upon the privacy of citizens from other countries would not play well overseas. I just keep thinking if someone like me knew this, surely people in our government who weigh all these decisions must have too and decided it didn’t really make a difference since they did it anyway. And they had to know these types of things like what you mentioned in your post would happen when people finally found out. I guess I just don’t know enough about international security to understand why they did it anyway.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Politics as usual just this time on an international platform….

bolding and highlighting is my effort to emphasis a point….

From The Economic TImes

BRUSSELS: The European Parliament called on Thursday for the scrapping of two agreements granting the United States access to European financial and travel data unless Washington reveals the extent of its electronic spying operations in Europe.

A non-binding resolution, passed by 483 votes to 98 with 65 abstentions, said the United States should come clean about its surveillance of email and communications data or risk seeing the transatlantic information-sharing deals, created in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, torn up.

The parliament CANNOT revoke the agreements without the support of European Union governments and the bloc’s executive Commission, which looks unlikely.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.