Invitation to Reform State Government – Suggestions related to IT Solutions

Home Forums Technology Invitation to Reform State Government – Suggestions related to IT Solutions

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Joe Adams 8 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Joe Adams
    Participant

The Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama (PARCA) has been invited to participate in Governor Bentley’s Commission on Improving State Government. This forum appears to be the ideal venue for soliciting informed suggestions on the kind of initiatives that the Governor would like to entertain. Our charge, broadly defined is “to analyze and explore new ways to reduce government spending with minimal or no reduction to essential state services.”

I am seeking suggestions related to the use of information technology. Recognizing that the utility of any specific IT recommendation depends on whether it can fit the local context, I am seeking a wide range of proven examples of cost-cutting strategies related to IT systems and/or new technologies that can be implemented within a six-month to one-year time horizon, either as stand-alone systems or as replacements for typical processes. Complete enterprise solutions are not realistic objectives for this project, though scalable components of particular systems might be viable options, depending on cost.

Given the time limitations, I would welcome referrals to specific vendors, with expertise in government finance, data management/data mining, and implementing large-scale data migration, or system integration projects who have developed proposals for other entities.

Of course, we would be most receptive to recommendations with well-developed cost comparisons.

For those who would like to offer comments privately, I have another site to gather suggestions at http://joe.adams.tripod.com/suggestions.html

Regards,

Joe Adams, Ph.D.

Research Coordinator

Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama

P.O. Box 292300

Birmingham, AL 35229

(205) 726-4286 (voice)

(205) 726-2900 (Fax)

http://parca.samford.edu

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.