iPad – Worth It?

Home Forums Acquisitions iPad – Worth It?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Elliot Volkman 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

I am not sure on this especially since I mostly use portable computer for blogging and don’t like the touchscreen interface. On the other hand it’s portable and multifunctional in other ways. Thoughts?

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Wait at least until March 2. Apple will be unveiling the iPad 2.

Yep I should have mentioned – all the talk about the new version is what’s making me reconsider my original “no.”

I hated the Droid when it first came out and now it is the complete opposite. I find it invaluable.

Brian Derr
    Participant

I love mine for content consumption, but I can’t do any serious writing on a touchscreen. You can get a wireless keyboard, but if you’re going to carry that around, you may as well use a netbook. I still think it was worth getting just for e-books, flipboard, social media, email, DropBox, etc. It is the first truly portable device that makes reading large amounts of material practical (except in bright sunlight), and it comes with the benefits of being much more than an e-reader. Oh, and the battery life is great if you remember to turn it off when you’re not using it. I too am looking forward to seeing what improvements come with iPad 2.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Similar to Brian’s response. I like it, a lot, but it’s pretty much a toy. For typing and for presentations (due to flash and need for converter ports) I use a netbook, and my Android phone covers a lot of other road needs. I use it mostly at home, for reading, Netflix, Twitter. Here’s a short review I did.

Nina Pasini Deibler
    Participant

I practically live on my iPhone and I’ve been dying to get the iPad just to have more screen real estate for many of the things I like to do when I’m away from my Mac and when I don’t want to drag around my laptop. As Brian said, it’s a great e-reader, but it can do so much more. We plan to use them for a project for a client, so I’ve played with them quite a bit. To Brian’s point about the keyboard, I’m pretty sure the iPad keyboard plus iPad are still smaller and more portable than most Netbooks, but if you are used to the iPhone onscreen keyboard, the iPad one is much bigger and I think it’s still very functional for typing emails, messages, etc. I’m holding out for the 2, and plan to buy one shortly after they release it — any day now!

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

My husband, the geek, is dying to see what the iPad 2 is like. But my personal opinion is that it’s like a big iPhone. I love my iPhone…so I have no need for an iPad, plus I think it’s too expensive.

It is more than a gadget–it is my entertainment computer. I love being able to consume movies, books, You Tube, personal email, music, and news whereever I want at home. And no maintenance hassles! The battery life is a big deal, if you have little kids and travel. Flying over the holidays, it seemed like all the parents had one. I was so happy not to lug my laptop along with the car seats!

I don’t mind typing on the screen, but I hope they fix some awkward things like no backspace and auto-capitalization.

For work I’d rather have my laptop for rapid typing, bigger screen, etc.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

I am kicking around the idea of getting one for my tech phobic 82 year old mother to make it easier to keep in touch. How easy is it to learn and use? (email, facebook and skype)

Nina Pasini Deibler
    Participant

I got my iPhone when my daughter was 3. She picked it up and immediately started using it the first day. When she turned 4 we bought her her own iPod Touch so I could have my iPhone back. She uses it for learning games and to watch Dora, etc. When my parents (in their 60s) saw her using it, they decided to get iPhones too. I think that’s a testimony for how easy it is to use.

Julia B. Hillegass
    Participant

Is everyone at the Apple store on their lunch break today? : )

I too am contemplating buying an iPad–hope to investigate the latest version or grab an old one on sale!

I love my iPad so much that I had to buy a second one so that my family could use one and I could use the other. Still, it doesn’t seem enough, because my husband and my daughter like to play quest games as a team from separate iPads across the living room. *sigh* As for being easy…I totally agree with the previous comments. My 3 year old and my 5 year old do great on it and my stepmother, who is in her 60s and TERRIFIED of computers for anything except printing out recipes, bought herself one and loves it too. In fact, I heard a presentation by AARP where they were saying that older adults are actually a huge growth market for the iPad because of the ability to zoom in nearly infinitely.

Nina Pasini Deibler
    Participant

OK, folks, the new specs are out and iPad 2 is indeed much improved over iPad with the SAME PRICING! Starts shipping on 3/11. Details at http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/the-ipad2/

David Fletcher
    Participant

There are so many things you can do on the iPad and the list just gets longer every day. I’m never without it during meetings, I carry my complete library of strategic documents, RFPs, designs, etc. with me in iBooks so that I always have it, and I need it more now than ever. Remote desktop is valuable so you can take care of any of those functions that otherwise might tie you down, project management, Remedy, things like that. Valuable during strategy and idea sessions, also to maintain contact with Twitter, IM, etc. it is the best platform for that. We have set up database servers and Citrix servers just to support our iPad users and that’s just a beginning. Now working on more apps for field worker automation, etc. that will make our workforce even more efficient. It also continues to drive the convergence of work and leisure that needs to support 24×7 operations. Perhaps my favorite app still is Flipboard which lets me track so much of what is happening across our state enterprise, including public and higher education. And yes, at this point, I’d wait for the iPad2 of course.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.