Is CISPA the new SOPA?

Home Forums Technology Is CISPA the new SOPA?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Cottle 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

We all remember the fervor over the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) earlier this year.

Back in January, the GovLoop community had a lively discussion about the bill.

And while SOPA might be just but a memory, a new piece of legislation is now causing certain members of the Internet community consternation.

It’s called the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act — and some tech blogs are likening it to SOPA 2.0.

Others, however, don’t see this piece of legislation in the same light. Companies like Microsoft and Facebook aren’t as wary about CISPA, and Google also reportedly supports some aspects of the bill. (For the full story, please see this Slate article.)

All of this leads me to wonder … is CISPA the new SOPA?

What do you think? Should CISPA become law? Is more legislation like this needed — or is Congress going too far?

Steve Cottle
    Participant

It will be really interesting to see how reaction to this plays out, given two major differences between this and SOPA: 1) some of the biggest driving forces behind preventing SOPA are lining up behind CISPA and 2) SOPA was the result of intense lobbying by a particular industry, while CISPA (and the other numerous cyberbills currently circulating in the House and Senate) are the result of a pretty broad consensus that something needs to happen on the cyber security front.

This is true. I am also interested to see how this plays out from a PR/media perspective. I find it interesting that CISPA has not been in the mainstream news as much as SOPA was.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

There’s a good comment from “decius” on this:

“CISPA has absolutely nothing to do with SOPA. CISPA is about enabling the government to cooperate with private companies to detect and stop “hacking” activity from foreign states.

Does the EFF seriously construe the use of IPS systems by private companies to detect and block exploits and malware command and control as “censorship?” Does the EFF think that private companies should not be allowed to use anti-virus software because it inspects the content of private documents on employees hard drives looking for tools that could be used to steal intellectual property? That’s totally ridiculous.

If the EFF wanted to do something constructive here they might consider suggesting alternative language that would prevent the scenarios they are concerned with, but by equating every bill they don’t like with SOPA they are discrediting themselves and they are playing right into the hands of those who have accused SOPA opponents of spreading disinformation.”

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Yes! That’s the problem I have with so many social movements. I’ve seen some nonprofits undermine their own message by diluting it claiming something is what it isn’t. It’s frustrating, especially when its an issue that is important to me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.